Extended Fasting and Bone Broth.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm back! My, haven't we all come a long way in 10 years.

I've not done it before but I decided to try an extended fast to see what happens. I last ate on the 2nd May at 22.00 and have had nothing but clear fluids, including home made bone broth. I feel fine, I could eat but that would be a choice, not something my body has driven and I want to ask you all about your experiences. I'm going to keep going until something changes (running out of broth probably) but I would like to know how you coped, how long you lasted, what was good, what was bad and did things change afterwards?

I'm T2, ten years now, HbA1c in the middle fours, one metformin a day, less than 25g carb a day, very insulin resistant, huge weight loss maintenance but it's very sensitive.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you.. I'm a relative newby to the forum (compared to you) but have completed a few 7 day fasts. I'm not quite so strict and have tea with lactofree milk, coffee with double cream and sometimes bouillon with a lump of butter. Be very interested to hear how you get on with your clear liquid (no matter how hard I try I can't stand black coffee) fast. Like you when eating I follow a fairly strict ketogenic way of eating.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Biker.

Cream and butter are my staple diet as is daily fasting with my one 'meal' a day.
I'm not a fan of black coffee either but for the fasting purposes I can do it. I'm sitting here with a bit of belly growling but I'm still not actually hungry, mind you, the coffee with cream I made for my mate earlier looked gorgeous.

I'll try to update when I can but I'm still hoping this attracts those that have done it before.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just thought of something. If one of the reasons to fast is to empty glycogen stores, should I stop taking my metformin?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't really advise on that as I only took mine for 3 weeks anyway..
How are your blood sugars when fasting?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not tested for years and I won't bother while I'm doing it. I have my fasting bloods due so I'll get a good idea of what my blood lipid profile looks after my fast.