Eye care

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I know that you should have a year check as part of your care plan , but is there a need for more regular checks from your own optition ??
It sounds a silly question but can't find an answer , so maybe you're thoughts on this may help :bookworm:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Jay1 Jay1,

Can't say for certain but beleive annual retinopathy screening is the norm. Maybe they do it more often if they know you have a problem?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually see my optician in Feb or March then the screening people in Sept or October, my optician says she is happy to see me more than the once if I have any problems, as the screening is annual and its a long time to wait if things start going wrong.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I may be talking rubbish here, but the yearly visit to the opticians, is based on the first few months are probably the worst for the lens distortion phase, until it goes back to normal(ish).
A yearly one after that is to see what damage it is having. It is also used as a warning to get better (ha!) healthcare or medication. And if in the case of the wife, New stylish daily and reading glasses!
I have to put up with poundlands own!:watching:

Reactions: 2 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you all for your help , I have a lot of faith in my optician I will give him a ring to see what he surgests

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am glad to be on this forum for one thing - most members are on their own for treatment or prevention or early care/ advice. Such members in general trust other sources (than GP) such as OP in this thread. I also see a few (negative and positive) experiences of the members with nurses.

For long I was not able to understand myself why I was bit reluctant (and insecure to an extent) to follow GP's advice. At least many people are here in the same boat as mine. I am not saying that we should not have faith in medics, but a few experiences make us (me) to think differently and adjust accordingly. Most GPs never believed my efforts to get lean, they say it is simply not possible to beat the genes - period. Even my family members (all T2D) unfortunately do not believe in my efforts of losing weight and cutting diet! Well, I do not have a big mouth or do not earn as much as they do.

Last week I had my routine annual checkup at my job; it was not really pleasant experience (as usual). BP was normal 110/65, usually it will be 105/65. However, GP was not pleased with me that I refused to start taking aspirin since last year; which was on my records 'non-compliant' or something. He told me (and the nurse) emphatically "We advise in the best interests of our clients, but cannot educate them beyond a point'. Could not reply, I remained silent with a smile. I really wanted to tell that my BP is good. Not sure he can really mess up with my records?

Waiting on results now. Will post the results when I get them, as a separate thread or add to my profile.

Reactions: 3 people