Fallen of wagon

MrNaga

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in mid September I had a check up at the doctors, Hba1c came back 48, went back 2 weeks later for second test to confirm, this test came back 45, diagnosed with prediabetes, over the next few weeks I had to have some other blood tests done but they done Hba1c as well. Two weeks after it was 45 it was 43 and a week after that it was 42, that was early November so in 6 weeks I went from 48 to 42 and lost a good amount of weight. Is this normal? I thought it’s supposed to take months or even years to get it down this much. Since then I have lost another stone and got in my bmi range, so hopefully Hba1c has gone down further I’ve added more carbs and still loosing weight which iam pleased with. I did a glucose test a few weeks ago after a cooked breakfast with a slice of toast and it was 6.2 .Yesterday I met a friend for our Xmas meet up I was worried about eating out and drinking but I though I’ve done really well iam going to not think about it too much, I had some beers and a cocktail and some Japanese food which contained rice and noodles and a few chips thrown in!!! We both shared everything so I probably didn’t eat as much as I thought but now I have a terrible guilt trip like an addict who has fallen off the wagon, have I done something really bad to my hba1c ?
Nurse did say you need to live as well when my journey started, apologies for the long post.
Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: filly

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry about it, the occasional day off will not cause any problems, so long as you return to your normal routine. Just don't do it too often.

Reactions: filly and Redshank

MrNaga

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks that’s what I was thinking, my old routine was that a few times a week, those days are over, you do actually appreciate it more when it’s one in a while!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @MrNaga

before I comment, could you answer a few questions? (Just to check my understanding)

Have you recently changed your eating habits?
if so, what changes have you made?
You say you have lost weight recently?
was that weight loss intentional?

You said that you have recently added some carbs back in, and that you are are pleased with that, but you are still losing weight. Do I have that correct?

oh, and one final question, have you been testing your blood glucose at home?

Thanks!

Reactions: potty pet

MrNaga

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes eating habits have changed a lot very low carb and intermittent fasting plus more exercise no alcohol until upped carb intake but only small amount on Saturday nights, weight loss is intended also no sugar but have had dark chocolate in small amounts, I have continued to loose weight since upping carb intake but there are days where I still don’t eat any carbs at all and the amount of weight dropped to each week is not as much asin the beginning.
I’ve only tested at home a few times but nurse said just go on hba1c next one Jan 10, hope that’s ok,
Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant, thank you. :)

The reason I was asking was because sometimes when people unintentionally lose weight rapidly, while eating carbs and with high blood glucose, then they need urgent assessment for type 1 diabetes.

Fortunately, it sounds as though your weight loss and blood glucose levels are good And getting better. :)

Having said that, I want to reassure you that one night out, back on the carb wagon, won’t have significantly damaged your body.

Are you familiarwith the Newcastle Diet? Made famous by Professor Taylor of Newcastle University.
he has found that some recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetics can lose weight and return to normal blood glucose levels, as long as they continue with their new slimmer lifestyles.
i am hoping that you have achieved this!

if you want to read up about Taylor’s work and findings, this link will give you the basics.

Congratulations on successfully finding a way to lose weight and improve your blood glucose levels. :)

Reactions: andromache

MrNaga

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much, actually I should have said that I’ve been going regularly to my g.p to have my blood pressure taken( which was high and now back to normal)and been
updating the nurse on my progress and she always said well done, iam hoping that they would have noticed if anything untoward was happening!
Iam aware of the Newcastle diet and have read up on it but thanks anyway.

Reactions: andromache