False Hypo?!

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Im working on bringing my hba1c down slightly by seeing my consultant weekly and testing my blood sugars around 10 times a day.

I'm having a few slight hypos now and again and get warning symptoms when they reach around 4, but I am also regularly feeling like I'm having a hypo (bit shaky, drunk like feeling), then my blood sugars are around 13 - 16 when I'm testing. I'm then testing every 10 minutes to make sure they are not rapidly dropping but it doesn't seem to go into hypo.

I've googled a few things and 'false hypos' comes up quite often but normally for non diabetics.

I'm going to discuss with my consultant, but just wondering if any diabetics had any experience of this or if I'm just going crazy..

Thanks all x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A false hypo is when you are used to running hyper, so you get hypo symptoms when your blood sugar drops to normal levels.

Have you been running high before now? If so, that might suggest a false hypo could be the answer.

Alternatively, if your not used to testing so regularly and if you are especially focused on improving your hba1c , it might just be that you are hyper aware of your results and maybe a bit anxious about them and the might be causing these symptoms for you.

Reactions: himtoo

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I experienced similar a couple of times on getting out of bed and once when standing from sitting mentioned this to GP who measured my blood pressure and it was found to be on the low side

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
If you are experiencing levels substantially lower than you have been running normally than you will feel like you are going hypo ---
it is really important to test and if levels on your meter are above 5 -- try not to treat as these are "false hypos"
over a few weeks running at lower levels should correct this and hypos should appear at levels around 3.7 - 4.3

hope this helps !!