Fast(est) Acting Insulins Available

daktau

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has empirical data with regards to how fast fast acting insulins work. I want a table listing the fast acting insulins in order of how quickly they work. If I do manage to get this together, I will then get in touch with medical companie$ to find how far off they are to beating the quickest.

cheers,
George

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
10-20 minutes for insulin's such as Apidra and Novorapid are the fastest at the moment, use Google search and you may find an updated chart of insulin profiles.

daktau

Thanks for this. I actually have done many google searches and not had many positive results hence the post about needing empirical data.

This is a bit out of date....

insulin.jpeg

cheers,
George

medic TANYA

hi sory new at this im a medic in RSA and im a new mom. i need help my baby girl is turning 1 on the 6 of sep next month my ex is pushing me to let him pierce her ears. the thing is my mom told me it could have a 50 % that she can develop diabetis

daktau

Novo Rapid, Apidra and Humalog have an onset of action about 30 minutes after injection and a peak effect at 1 hour with essentially no effect 2-3 hours after injection.

This is similar to my experience, I usually notice a blood sugar drop after about about 40 mins when administered through my pump. The pump speeds this process in relation to a 'normal' subcutaneous injection via the basal ~ By continually giving tiny amounts of short acting insulin it keeps the islets of langerhan fired up, thus meaning a bolus is straight in there and working rather than a waitin on these cells to become active.

I will ask my consultant if they have any useful info on this subject.

cheers,
George

daktau

@medic TANYA Go to your GP I have no knowlege of this. Thinking about it if it were in any way true, I'm sure that the NHS would come down on piercing a kids ears really quickly with the messge "Don't do it because research shows that your kid will have a 50% chance of developing diabetes" but they haven't done that have they.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
daktau said:
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has empirical data with regards to how fast fast acting insulins work. I want a table listing the fast acting insulins in order of how quickly they work. If I do manage to get this together, I will then get in touch with medical companie$ to find how far off they are to beating the quickest.

cheers,
George

No Idea why you want a fater insulin than already available. If it's any faster it wont be able to match the food peak as it's digested.
Here's one of many charts to be found on the net. http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Ma ... lchart.pdf

daktau

A faster insulin would reduce any high blood sugars faster giving a better average over time. I think that this will happen for the reason just given. You are right to point out that it may be problematic with different foods. However, given the use of 'smart' boluses eg. square wave or dual wave the food you are digesting can be accurately converted into energy by the insulin, it just takes a good knowledge of the breakdown and fats involved. This is, of course, only relevant to pump users.

iHs

People should google Halozyme insulin and Biodel insulin. These 2 companies are trying to produce very fast acting insulins which will help prevent high bg spikes occuring after a meal is eaten and also by having a very short duration action should also help eliminate hypos to a certain extent.