Fast food

hawkeyeuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I usually have breakfast around 5.30 in the morning and get home around 3.30 in the afternoon often I don’t have time for anything to eat during that time. When I get home I want something to eat that takes only a few minutes to prepare and eat. What type of things would you have

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually have breakfast around 5.30 in the morning and get home around 3.30 in the afternoon often I don’t have time for anything to eat during that time. When I get home I want something to eat that takes only a few minutes to prepare and eat. What type of things would you have
I would prepare something the night before. eg (1) hard boiled eggs, lettuce washed, spun dried and stored in a plastic box in the fridge, cheese ready grated. I would have some of this carb-free pasta which needs no cooking, just warming up, in the cupboard: https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-pasta-fettucini-60007573
I would have a toughened glass lidded casserole dish ready with a little water in it, in which to microwave mushrooms, courgettes or whatever (very quickly done). Or (2) a chicken leg with skin and bone removed, briefly cooked in same glass dish the night before. (This can be got ready-prepared from Sainsbury's or with skin and bone you have to remove yourself, but a larger portion for less money, from Morrisons.) The resulting stock can then be left in the dish ready to cook the vegetables on the night. Or (3) keep frozen fillets of pink wild salmon and pollock in the freezer. For quicker cooking, take one fillet out in the morning and leave to defrost in a covered container, then microwave on the night (very quickly cooked). Or, even quicker, cook the salmon the night before and eat on the night cold with Hellman's Real Mayonnaise (the best and lowest carb). Hope you find something here that helps.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Have a wander around the Dietdoctor website, loads of recipes and all low carb.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
eggs.. bacon..the original fast food and **** tasty too only one pan to clean (if you eat out of the pan no plate either!)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A piece of meat or fish with veggies. I prepare more than one portion of meals and store the extras in the freezer so they’re quick to prepare after work.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love food but cooking isn’t my favourite activity. So I certainly don’t cook daily.

Slow cooked meals like stews can make 8-10 portions. Freeze in individual portions and defrost when needed.

Pretty easy to cook once or twice a week and then eat a different thing every day.

Last night was baked salmon with wasabi mayo and micro green veg - took a total of 5 mins effort in kitchen and 15 mins watching tv while it cooked. And we have cold salmon leftovers for 2 more meals.

I find a determination to eat well, with minimum effort (aka laziness), serves me v well! :D

Reactions: Goonergal

hawkeyeuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks all certainly food for thought

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all certainly food for thought

When you want to eat at 3:30pm, are you looking for a main meal, or for something to keep you going until family are eating?