Fasting? (Or, what went right this week?)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

But it is comparing B/L against 6 meals...not B/L vs L/D :D

Still my anecdotal experience is simply that skipping dinner will lower my Fasting BG to < 5.0 mmol. With dinner, even LCHF will keep it closer to 5.5 mmol.

Today after 2 days of FMD, my FBG is at 4.4 mmol. Will try to maintain this for a couple more days...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But it is comparing B/L against 6 meals...not B/L vs L/D :D

Still my anecdotal experience is simply that skipping dinner will lower my Fasting BG to < 5.0 mmol. With dinner, even LCHF will keep it closer to 5.5 mmol.

Today after 2 days of FMD, my FBG is at 4.4 mmol. Will try to maintain this for a couple more days...
The many small meals seems to be one of the dietitian's favourite strategies. So much for that theory :D

There seem to be quite a few different types of studies that address breakfast in diabetes. Here's another:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25724569

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite getting my HBA1C down from 97 to 37 without meds, my FBG is always high. Usually around 8. I have been eating LCHF since diagnosis last year and the FBG has been consistently high all that time. It was 9.4 yesterday morning. If I don't eat breakfast it climbs all morning until I'm in double figures, then drops before lunch.

I have tried a couple of 24 hour fasts but found that my bg levels are really high throughout until I eat.

I don't think skipping breakfast works for everyone. However I'd be interested to hear if anyone had the same experience as me with a high FBG and then skipped breakfast and brought it down. I have toyed with the idea of fasting 16:8 by always skipping breakfast in the hope that after a time my body would adapt, but am too nervous that I might just be doing damage to my body.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite getting my HBA1C down from 97 to 37 without meds, my FBG is always high. Usually around 8. I have been eating LCHF since diagnosis last year and the FBG has been consistently high all that time. It was 9.4 yesterday morning. If I don't eat breakfast it climbs all morning until I'm in double figures, then drops before lunch.

I have tried a couple of 24 hour fasts but found that my bg levels are really high throughout until I eat.

I don't think skipping breakfast works for everyone. However I'd be interested to hear if anyone had the same experience as me with a high FBG and then skipped breakfast and brought it down. I have toyed with the idea of fasting 16:8 by always skipping breakfast in the hope that after a time my body would adapt, but am too nervous that I might just be doing damage to my body.
I had the same thing with my fasting BG for a very long time - though not to the same level that you have. It was only when I swapped to a 2 meal a day regime that it finally fell into line. I eat a large breakfast around 7am and a main meal before 3pm. Then I fast till breakfast. Seems to work well for me. Makes it easier to eat this way because I live alone and can please myself. I think it would be more difficult if you needed to factor family meals into the equation.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have a somewhat similar experience. I just wish I knew what had worked so well last week! I do skip dinner a few times a week just because I'm not hungry or am tired, but it doesn't have a noticeable effect on my FBG.

Now I'm wondering if it was the wine and not the light-eating, anyway. I had a glass of wine out with friends last night and this morning I had good FBG again this morning. Hmm...I wonder if there is something non-alcoholic that could give the same effect.