Faulty Insulin Pens

bdullxh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is like the 3rd time (in a row) this has happened to me now,
I’ve only used half of my Novorapid short acting insulin pen, and it now has particles and threads in the insulin when I shake it.
I’ve used it and injected arojmd 13/14 units, for it to have no effect on my glucose (currently at 18mmol/l)
I keep the pens in the fridge, even the ones that I am using. So I can’t understand why they are going off so quickly.
I do study abroad, I take around 2 months supply with me on the plane, but I can’t see that having a major impact on the insulin quality.
If anyone has had any similar issues or knows where I can go for more information, please do let me know as it will be extremely helpful :)

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @bdullxh and welcome to the forums

This is like the 3rd time (in a row) this has happened to me now,
I’ve only used half of my Novorapid short acting insulin pen, and it now has particles and threads in the insulin when I shake it.

I'd be suspicious of insulin that looked like that. Could you have a faulty batch? Is there any chance that the fridge is colder than you expected and the insulin is freezing?

Are you studying abroad at the moment? To be honest, if I were in your position I would want to contact my diabetic clinic for advice. Maybe you could go into a local pharmacy and see what they think?

And I found this article on the web

and

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and bdullxh

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out the insulin in use shouldn’t be put back in the fridge. If you read the blurb on the leaflet it does actually say this on mine. Ry leaving out and see if you have the same issue.

bdullxh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out the insulin in use shouldn’t be put back in the fridge. If you read the blurb on the leaflet it does actually say this on mine. Ry leaving out and see if you have the same issue.
I’ve been a type 1 for around a year now, I’ve only recently been putting them back in the fridge. I used to leave them out and would run into the same issue. I actually started putting them back into the fridge thinking it might resolve this issue.
Thanks for trying to help.

Tiggy63#

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When i was first diagnosed 2006 as T2 i was told always keep Insulin in the fridge even the pen i was using should be put back in the fridge.
Now 17 Yrs later it's no you can the one your using out so long as it's thrown away after 31 days, there is never a time it's lasted 31 days so i don't need to worry on that score.

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I was you I would ring customer services of the maker of the insulin with LOT/BATCH number and exp date, tell them the problem you got .

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Tiggy63#

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes i would go to the Manufacturers and explain whats happened.
If you take to the Chemist they are likely to just throw it out and not do anything.
I went to my Chemist because they had put the wrong insulin in the box, but it had the right label, they took it and went the office
When the lady came you have got the insulin to go in the pen? I said yes, she was then apologising, then said we will throw it away like all medications that are brought back whether they have been opened or not, so i said if that's the case I'll take them back home.
The lady took them off me and went off again and came back 5 minutes later with the same box but the right label on it.
Point being you would better to ring the Manufacturers Customer Services and tell them whats happened.

Good luck