Fear of passing it on to children

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do not have children yet but would like to. I read that the chance of a father passing Type 1 onto children is 9%, which is higher than the chance of the mother with Type 1. I have heard of men with children who, so far, don't have diabetes but if I was in a position to have children I'd be very worried.

I would feel very bad knowing I had brought a new person into the world and subjected them to the disruption, risk of complications and shorter life expectancy that I am faced with. What men out here have become fathers and how did you feel about all this?

• Hug
Reactions: Torres71 and M@

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my mind 9% is low, especially when you consider how many people get Type 1 without a history of it in their family
But, if that is not comforting enough, I also think of the huge advancements in treatment over the last 20 years. The challenges of having Type 1 now are far less. The risk of complications is far less. And it is improving more.
I know I have been able to live a full, exciting, adventurous life with Type 1 and experienced no complications. And their seems to be little people with Type 1 cannot do with actors, athletes, scientists, doctors, artists, musicians and even politicians progressing far in their careers whilst living with Type 1.

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my mind 9% is low, especially when you consider how many people get Type 1 without a history of it in their family
But, if that is not comforting enough, I also think of the huge advancements in treatment over the last 20 years. The challenges of having Type 1 now are far less. The risk of complications is far less. And it is improving more.
I know I have been able to live a full, exciting, adventurous life with Type 1 and experienced no complications. And their seems to be little people with Type 1 cannot do with actors, athletes, scientists, doctors, artists, musicians and even politicians progressing far in their careers whilst living with Type 1.

I too have been trying to live a full life but I my recent eye-screening letter said I have background retinopathy and my hba1c was 59 (far too high) so sadly there have been consequences to me not being stricter. I think this is the sad reality of the message. You can live the same life as your friends if you wish, but you probably won't life as long as them or in the same state of health.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @RobertJ, and welcome to the forums.

While I know that fathers are slightly more likely to pass it on than mothers, I thought the odds were less than that, though still much higher than a non diabetic
Is Diabetes Genetic? The Hereditary Risk of Type 1 Diabetes (webmd.com)
Will I Pass on Type 1 Diabetes to My Baby? - JDRF

As the daughter of a T1 mother (with no T1 family history) I am very glad that she didn't use her T1 as a reason not to have children, and found it to be very helpful to have a T1 parent. I am very happy to be alive even though the treatment for T1 wasn't that wonderful when I was first diagnosed. (It's a lot better now).

You can live the same life as your friends if you wish, but you probably won't life as long as them or in the same state of health.

At the age of 60 (52 years T1) I see a number of friends with far worse health conditions, and some of them are sadly no longer around at all. Though I am sure my health would be better if I were not T1 it hasn't really stopped me doing anything in the past and I continue to lead a healthy and active life now. My T1 mother made it to 78 despite living for decades without a glucometer, and would have probably have lasted quite a few years longer if she hadn't smoked for 50 years.

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

While I know that fathers are slightly more likely to pass it on than mothers, I thought the odds were less than that, though still much higher than a non diabetic

As the daughter of a T1 mother (with no T1 family history) I am very glad that she didn't use her T1 as a reason not to have children, and found it to be very helpful to have a T1 parent. I am very happy to be alive even though the treatment for T1 wasn't that wonderful when I was first diagnosed. (It's a lot better now).

At the age of 60 (52 years T1) I see a number of friends with far worse health conditions, and some of them are sadly no longer around at all. Though I am sure my health would be better if I were not T1 it hasn't really stopped me doing anything in the past and I continue to lead a healthy and active life now. My T1 mother made it to 78 despite living for decades without a glucometer, and would have probably have lasted quite a few years longer if she hadn't smoked for 50 years.

Thanks, that's interesting to know. Living to 78 with T1 while smoking for 50 years is certainly pretty solid!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I do not have children yet but would like to. I read that the chance of a father passing Type 1 onto children is 9%, which is higher than the chance of the mother with Type 1. I have heard of men with children who, so far, don't have diabetes but if I was in a position to have children I'd be very worried.

I would feel very bad knowing I had brought a new person into the world and subjected them to the disruption, risk of complications and shorter life expectancy that I am faced with. What men out here have become fathers and how did you feel about all this?
Hi @RobertJ Type 1 from 1959-2013. My daughter was born in 1984. She is nearly 38 without diabetes. Having children for anybody is a gamble. Though times were tough in the past, I'm glad I had the chance to be here. So is my daughter! Good luck.

Reactions: Marie sugar addict

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too have been trying to live a full life but I my recent eye-screening letter said I have background retinopathy and my hba1c was 59 (far too high) so sadly there have been consequences to me not being stricter. I think this is the sad reality of the message. You can live the same life as your friends if you wish, but you probably won't life as long as them or in the same state of health.
I am not super strict. I live the same life as my friends, family and colleagues. I eat what I want, drink what I want, I have a stressful job (that I love) and I exercise most days.
I have had Type 1 for nearly 20 years and am healthier than most others I know at my age. I have no reason to believe I won't live as long or as healthily as my friends.

I have had background retinopathy in the past but I am proof it is reversible. I have achieved this by learning to use the tools we are given (insulin and CGM) that have improved in my diabetic life, not by restricting my life.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

Is it against forum rules to make five new accounts, just so I can like this five more times?

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try not to worry. Easier said than done I know. I have 5 children & was diagnosed with T1D & am the first person in my entire family to have diabetes. Passing it onto my children, shorter life expectancy have all all crossed my mind & then did the realisation we live in the 21st Century & are fortunate to have the medical treatment & advancements. I continue to eat a balanced diet, have a constant battle with those dam hypos despite having the correct ratio of insulin to carbs & to that end start Tresiba next month. Try to make the most of each day & as I've always told my wife 'Worried time is wasted time'. Best of luck.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @RobertJ welcome! I for one hope that just because I am a Type 1 my life will not be cut short. In fact I know many people whose life has been for a Myriad other reasons out of their control. I actually feel healthier as I am very strict with my eating and routines. However, I am still happy and living life to the full. Any children who you are lucky to have will take things in their stride as all do.

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slightly different as I'm a female, type 1 for the past 50 years, no family history of it, we have 4 children, now 33, 31, 29, 27 and none of them are diabetic, we also have 2 grandchildren both free of diabetes

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try not to worry. Easier said than done I know. I have 5 children & was diagnosed with T1D & am the first person in my entire family to have diabetes. Passing it onto my children, shorter life expectancy have all all crossed my mind & then did the realisation we live in the 21st Century & are fortunate to have the medical treatment & advancements. I continue to eat a balanced diet, have a constant battle with those dam hypos despite having the correct ratio of insulin to carbs & to that end start Tresiba next month. Try to make the most of each day & as I've always told my wife 'Worried time is wasted time'. Best of luck.

Thanks, that's reassuring. At the moment I don't have anyone to reproduce with anyway so it's purely academic!

Hi,

Sorry, long post and I’m not a father.

I was passed on type 1 diabetes through my mum. Her aunt also had type 1 and passed it to her daughter. My mum was 20 when she got type 1 and I was 21.

My brother was born with spinabifida, then my mums unborn daughter was diagnosed with the same but severe. Unfortunately, my sister never made it. The reason I am mentioning this is, if you decide to have children please ensure your partner takes a higher dose of folic acid. The doctor will prescribe a higher dose because the chances of having children with spina bifida is increased. My brother with the spina bifida luckily lives a very normal life but, his partner never took the recommended folic acid as he never told her he had spina bifida and the baby never survived. He didn’t know she would need it. Both diabetics and people with spina bifida need a higher dose than usual. My mum was in a clinical trial early 90’s with folic acid and went on to have my brother who is now 31 with no health conditions.

I have gone on to have two daughters, I worry they will be passed on type 1 diabetes, I hope and pray they never do! Time will tell. The advances in medicine give me a hope that if they do get it, by that time there will be even better than what we have now! The girls are almost 16 and almost 10 and so far so good. I also had overactive thyroid which is hand in hand with diabetes, I asked if I could find out if the girls would inherit the conditions, my endocrinologist said they can do the tests but what good would it do?! I knew they were right.

Diabetes is an awful condition, it can destroy your life! My mum died 3 years ago coming up, she was 55 years old. She was blind, was on dialysis (kidney failure) she had multiple amputations (toes, half her foot (Charcot foot) and half her leg. She was a size 10 most of her life. She had neuropathy of her legs, feet, hands and bowel it was devastating. She started getting unwell and foot infections at the age of 30 roughly.
This is not to scare you, my mum was useless with her diabetes, I ain’t always perfect but, the blood testing, carb counting, insulin regimes, it has all come on since the early 80’s when she was diagnosed at 20. I am 38 and touchwood, healthy, not had no hospital stays in over 10 years.
Diabetes should not stop you doing what you want to do! Look after your diabetes, take the precautions when planning on having a baby. Children are the most rewarding gifts we can have, please don’t deprive yourself of this because of this disease. I wouldn’t change having my two girls! I have every faith in the medicine of the future.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been a diabetic for 46 year my dad had diabetes doctors told my mum that it would jump generation but it did not missed my older brother but got me & my sister she got it in 1977 but missed my younger brother my children have not got