Feeling ill after 22 hour fast

meJulie

Hi all I did a 22 hour fast yesterday and ate my Marcos in one meal, since then I have felt very nauseous and cannot face anything to eat today. I am also feeling a little lightheaded and weird. My bloods are 3.9 I take metformin and daxagliptin. Any advice please

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi all I did a 22 hour fast yesterday and ate my Marcos in one meal, since then I have felt very nauseous and cannot face anything to eat today. I am also feeling a little lightheaded and weird. My bloods are 3.9 I take metformin and daxagliptin. Any advice please
As I was reading your post, I instantly thought "I wonder what his Blood Glucose Level is? I know that if my sugars have gone to low I feel as you do. Mine has not gone as low as yours, but it seem's a little on the low side. Maybe if you try to eat something your blood sugar will rise and you will feel better. I am sure somebody on here will give you some good advice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you eat in your one meal? I'm guessing that as you aren't really used to eating this way it may have overloaded your stomach a bit? Also with the medication you are on I'd be talking to HCP's about reducing the dose while fasting..

Quizzo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been on linagliptin for a while as bs wasn’t coming down quickly enough,has anybody had this and experienced any problems or side effects

meJulie

I think I did overload because I thought I had to eat all my Marcos in that short window. I have had a cup of tea with one sugar and some scrambled eggs an hour ago and bloods have gone up to six, still feeling nauseous and very achy tummy, I think I do need to go to gps

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with what @bulkbiker said.

Your Gliptin medication can cause hypos,. It helps the pancreas to produce extra insulin to cope with the glucose in your blood stream caused by eating carbs. The less carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. That, plus stuffing yourself in one meal, is most likely the cause. If you are following a low carb diet and trying long fasts your Gliptin meds may need reducing so it may be a case of a word with your nurse.

badmedisin

3.9 will make you feel lightheaded and weird, it’s a hypo.

Might be worth having a shorter fast or splitting it into 2? Personally I find that when I go too long without eating I go beyond hunger and into a really nauseous and lightheaded (and either stroppy or stupid...) state where I can’t face eating.

meJulie

3.9 will make you feel lightheaded and weird, it’s a hypo.

Might be worth having a shorter fast or splitting it into 2? Personally I find that when I go too long without eating I go beyond hunger and into a really nauseous and lightheaded (and either stroppy or stupid...) state where I can’t face eating.

I don’t think I will do omad until my bloods have settled still only reading 4.1 and still not feeling hungry or well

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with what @bulkbiker said.

Your Gliptin medication can cause hypos,. It helps the pancreas to produce extra insulin to cope with the glucose in your blood stream caused by eating carbs. The less carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. That, plus stuffing yourself in one meal, is most likely the cause. If you are following a low carb diet and trying long fasts your Gliptin meds may need reducing so it may be a case of a word with your nurse.
Hi. I believe the Gliptins have the following effect. They are DPP-4 inhibitors. They inhibit an enzyme that in turn switches off insulin production typically after a meal. By inhibiting this enzyme, the pancreas produces insulin for longer. I understand that they don't normally cause hypos and neither does Metformin normally but with extreme fasting I guess they can? I think the poster needs to now have enough food to raise BS and perhaps control medication use while fasting or consider not fasting.

Reactions: meJulie

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I don't think that fasting is for everyone. But if you are on medication which can have an effect while fasting, as Bulkbiker said, maybe have a word with your doctor about your medication. Hmm doc may tell you not to fast, especially if he believes 3 meals a day as a ritual

Reactions: meJulie