Feeling overwhelmed

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got my 1st pump appointment with the nurse this Thursday.

I've been type 1 on mdi for 38years and this is a huge change for me. I've always shunned pumping, never wanting to be attached to something 24/7, but I've come around to the idea reading some of the success stories.

My control has progressively been more difficult to maintain in the last year or so, and I've suffered from long bouts of burn out. I do blame a lot of it on my age (hormones, I'm peri menopausal etc.)

Anyway, back to the point! I feel overwhelmed when reading posts on here, I've done some background research but still feel very much in the dark!
I've decided to stop researching and overloading my brain and go open minded to the appointment to see what I'll be offered etc.

Okay rant over, I hope very soon I'll be knowledgeable enough to join in with the pumping threads to ask advice (basics like using the right terminology are all mind blowing too .)

Christine

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Know what you mean about information overload @Picci

Believe me pumps are a fantastic piece of kit and are not difficult to use, prior to starting on a pump I was slightly put-off by comments that pumps are hard work but I haven't found this to be the case...............if anything they are much less hassle than MDI.

Anyway good luck for Thursday and do keep the thread updated on your progress.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Best of luck with starting your pump Christine. Hope it goes well and your DSN supports you over first few days/weeks. Lots of people on here to get advice from! Which pump have you chosen?

Reactions: Picci

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope all goes well @Picci - I wouldn't be without mine. They really are fab. Let us know how you get on.

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been on my pump a year in June was really nervous as well at the thought of being attached to something, but once you get used to it it's great I love my pump and wouldn't go back to the pens now and injecting! I am on Accuchek Insight Good Luck

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly once you actually get up and running, it makes it easier to understand. Ive only been pumping for 6 weeks but when an enormous box arrived with a load of mysteries equipment and a librarys worth of manuals, I wanted to change my mind and go back to MDI!
I shut the box and decided I'd wait for my DSN to explain the contents.
Reading about it on here is helpful but can be confusing too. I'd be reading posts thinking what's the difference between infusion sets and cannula? Where does the cartridge go? Why are they multiwaving???
It will all fall into place :)
If you have access to a cgm or can get a libre, it makes things much easier when it comes to adjusting your basal and making sure your ratios are correct.