Feeling rough after 11 weeks post diagnosis

Dzeis72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 diagnosis and on 2000mg of metformin a day. My first blood test revealed HBA1C of 101 (10th April). The second blood test my HBA1C is now 59 (9th June)

My blood pressure has dropped from 144/95 to 124/85

I’ve lost 4kg in weight since April 10th. My BMI is 32

Cholesterol dropped from 6.9 to 4.1 (1 statin a day)

Going to the gym twice a week involved in cardio burning 550 calories/session.

I’ve had the podiatry visit and there are no issues with my feet and the retinopathy scan came back as normal.

My Kidney function test is over 95% and I’ll be attending the DESOND course on Tuesday.

Average Glucose level April: 11(f)/ 12 (2hr post meal)

Average Glucose level May: 10(f) / 9 (2hr post meal)

Average Glucose level June: 7.9(f) / 7.3 (pre meal) and 7.6 (2hr post meal)

I’m trying to cut down on my carb intake. I eat a HUEL mix and additional protein for breakfast and lunch (300 Cals each) and a salami snack. In the evening I have a meat or fish based family meal in the evening with reduced carb intake.

So whilst it looks like everything is going in the right direction during the last couple of days I’ve been feeling ****. Really tired, falling asleep at in appropriate times. I feel heavy headed and feeling really cranky, like I have a cold. I’m having problems remembering things. It’s not like me and its pissing me off.

Can anyone else relate to this?

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Dzeis72 ..
Your meds, your recent weight loss and the changes in your blood glucose levels have probably brought about the symptoms that you describe .. this is fairly normal in such a short time and will almost certainly pass. If not, though, you need to check this out with your Doc

Having said that, you have made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need .. It's still early for me but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly ..

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

Not sure whether you have received the welcome pack yet but I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It seems as though you are already testing your blood glucose levels but, if not, a top priority is that you get yourself a meter and, for this, I suggest that you try the website at:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 (you don't pay VAT) or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them. Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them
Hope this helps

Dzeis72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the encouragement. I test at three time points and every other day and I receive all my meds, the testing machine and strips for free. I have received the introduction email from Daisy. I'm having a hard time getting my head around the concept of high fat diet to be honest. I'll have to invest the time and read the information and posts in this site.

The nurse wants me to continue with my current meds for another 6 weeks. Sh is fearful of the improvements levelling off, and if that happens then she wants me to look to introduce a second line of meds. Something I'm not keen on pursuing.

Reactions: ickihun

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I too, am recently diagnosed and like you I have had a period of feeling like poo. It left me wondering what it was all for but with the advice I got from the folks here I learned what was going on and I was given encouragement in buckets. We make such sudden radical changes to diet and excercise, sometimes in such a short period that our bodies scream 'Oy you! What do you think you're doin'? This isn't what I'm used to!' This period did not last long for me and I hope that you feel better real soon, you have made great strides with your numbers and I agree wholeheartedly about avoiding a rise in meds.
My Hba1c at dx was 98 so I need to follow your lead and keeps sloggin' at it. All the best.

Edited for atrocious spelling. Must remember to proof read before enter.

Reactions: Dzeis72

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you explain what HUEL is - it is not something I have come across.
I suspect that you are doing low calorie and low carb - not a good combination for long term eating.
I eat low carb but without restricting the calories.
My Hba1c is now 41, down from 91 seven months ago.

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LCHF is what the majority of people here follow. Do you know how many carbs you are consuming a day, and fats and protein? Instead of adding a second medication I would be trying everything else to lower your BS first.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome @dezeis72. A few weeks into Lchf I too felt rough, with extreme lethargy etc as you described and found the explanations here on carb flu seemed to be what I was experiencing. After a few weeks it passed and I now feel fitter than ever. Due to a family bereavement I was unable to attend my Desmond course, but not really sure I want to go.

If your symptoms persist or your at all worried please see your GP just to rule anything out or put your mind at ease.

X

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Dzeis72

Try reading the "Doctor in the House" blog on https://drchatterjee.com/ along with looking at posts on his facebook page and seach for him on utube.

If you like learning from books also get yourself a copy of "Living Low Carb: Controlled‑Carbohydrate Eating for Long‑Term by Jonny Bowden"

I think HUEL mix is much too high in curbs due to the oats and rice and may be too high in protein without having enough “good” fats. Try replacing some of it with oily fish (smoked or tinned), e.g. smoke salmon omelette. Or just some tinned oiler fish with a packet of salad. I also like a mix of olives, cubes of cheese and some nuts with some salad.

Last edited:

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can you explain what HUEL is - it is not something I have come across.
I suspect that you are doing low calorie and low carb - not a good combination for long term eating.
I eat low carb but without restricting the calories.
My Hba1c is now 41, down from 91 seven months ago.

HUEL is another 'complete' food like Slimfast or suchlike. Too many carbs for me but might work for some. I've tried them for weight loss but they aren't sustainable. Again, for me. I'm better sticking with very low carb, the very occasional day off. :)

Reactions: ringi

Dzeis72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HUEL is another 'complete' food like Slimfast or suchlike. Too many carbs for me but might work for some. I've tried them for weight loss but they aren't sustainable. Again, for me. I'm better sticking with very low carb, the very occasional day off. :)

Sorry, but you're wrong. Huel is not used for weight loss and yes it is sustainable. I've been using it for over a year and use it twice day. I use a lower carb Huel Hack with only 20% carb content.

Dzeis72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Dzeis72

Try reading the "Doctor in the House" blog on https://drchatterjee.com/ along with looking at posts on his facebook page and seach for him on utube.

If you like learning from books also get yourself a copy of "Living Low Carb: Controlled‑Carbohydrate Eating for Long‑Term by Jonny Bowden"

I think HUEL mix is much too high in curbs due to the oats and rice and may be too high in protein without having enough “good” fats. Try replacing some of it with oily fish (smoked or tinned), e.g. smoke salmon omelette. Or just some tinned oiler fish with a packet of salad. I also like a mix of olives, cubes of cheese and some nuts with some salad.

I use a lower carb (20%) Huel hack with increase in protein and fat.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some people find that too much protein increases their BG and hence have to eat more fat. (I just had a packet of smoked mackerel and a packet of salad for lunch, e.g. "food that looks like food".)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the encouragement. I test at three time points and every other day and I receive all my meds, the testing machine and strips for free. I have received the introduction email from Daisy. I'm having a hard time getting my head around the concept of high fat diet to be honest. I'll have to invest the time and read the information and posts in this site.

The nurse wants me to continue with my current meds for another 6 weeks. Sh is fearful of the improvements levelling off, and if that happens then she wants me to look to introduce a second line of meds. Something I'm not keen on pursuing.
You do not actually have to eat high fat many here do not like to much saturated fat so go more moderate and a lot get their fat intake from good oils like coconut and olive oil avocados and nuts

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Dzeis72

Remember that salmon, olives, mackerel and avocado are all high fat. Have a read of “living the low curb lifestyle” book. Most people find that when they cut curbs they need to add something; it can be protein and/or fat. It does not need to be fat from processed red meat!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dzeis72 you have made a tremendous amount of progress. Congrats!

I also think you have "keto flu". Not fun. I went through it myself a few months ago. Hang in there. Keep your carbs low like you're doing. You'll feel like a million bucks when you come out on the other side. :)

Dzeis72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Dzeis72 ..
Your meds, your recent weight loss and the changes in your blood glucose levels have probably brought about the symptoms that you describe .. this is fairly normal in such a short time and will almost certainly pass. If not, though, you need to check this out with your Doc

Having said that, you have made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need .. It's still early for me but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly ..

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

Not sure whether you have received the welcome pack yet but I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It seems as though you are already testing your blood glucose levels but, if not, a top priority is that you get yourself a meter and, for this, I suggest that you try the website at:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 (you don't pay VAT) or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them. Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them
Hope this helps

The 16/8 looks very good. Something I feel is achievable. I've been trying out for the past two days and although I might have missed an hour 15/9 etc I'm sticking with it

Reactions: ringi

Dzeis72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do not actually have to eat high fat many here do not like to much saturated fat so go more moderate and a lot get their fat intake from good oils like coconut and olive oil avocados and nuts

That's a good point. I'll take that onboard.