Feet

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Have to admit I am so confused with this. Diagnosed type 2 in February 2016. The only real issue I have is with my feet. I was told I have to look after them and fair enough I understand that but then again shouldn't everyone anyway whether you are Diabetic or not? Anyway, I went to buy a Pedegg and the shop wouldn't sell it to me but another one did. I also have one of these battery "sanders" which I find so much easier to use. Can I ask what other people use please?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have to admit I am so confused with this. Diagnosed type 2 in February 2016. The only real issue I have is with my feet. I was told I have to look after them and fair enough I understand that but then again shouldn't everyone anyway whether you are Diabetic or not? Anyway, I went to buy a Pedegg and the shop wouldn't sell it to me but another one did. I also have one of these battery "sanders" which I find so much easier to use. Can I ask what other people use please?
You have to be very careful with hard skin on feet and toes. Use a moisturiser which the doctor can give you and keep them clean to prevent bacterial/fungal infections.

The problem with calluses on toes is that they can create a pressure point and damage the soft tissue underneath, possibly leading to ulcers.

I use a medium emery board occasionally, after washing, to gently remove hard skin from toes before applying something like Zero Creme or Flexitol skin cream.

If it looks more serious get the DN or foot nurse to look at it.

Reactions: Spirit01

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I have a wide paddle-like thing with emery board stuff on it to "sand" my feet with so it spreads the pressure out a bit and there's less likelihood of damage (got it from Superdrug). I moisturise my feet every day and check them at night.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Thank you for your replies. There are aspects of all this that I find difficult to take in as there are some generalisations but people deal with them in different ways. A bit like gardening really and by that I mean that a group of people can grow a vegetable but use different methods to get the same result. Apologies for using that analogy but it's the best I could think of, and I'm a very keen allotmenteer. I have tried several foot moisturisers but will little result and I have a bad toenail. I recently saw an internet story regarding using Vick Vapour Rub for many things and two really took my interest. 1 was for treating a fungal nail infection and the other was for a foot moisturiser. Having used so many things for nail fungus including prescription I was very weary but after 2-weeks use I'm thrilled to say that the nail is showing remarkable improvement. I'm also excited to say that my feet are a lot smoother as well. My Wife is also very pleased because since using this I haven't snored at all ha ha. Whether I'm doing what I'm supposed to I don't know but it's working for me. I use my battery sander to give my feet a good going over every night (quite a bit of hard skin), wash them well in a hot shower, apply the Vick, and then put cotton socks on as well as slippers. I do wear the socks in bed as well. I know I have to do this but I am finding it difficult as I love the freedom of bare feet. I used to work in a swimming pool and a Leisure Centre so it was a lot of wet bare feet and wet trainers and I was a beach front Lifeguard so lots of running/walking on sand for many hours so my poor old feet have been badly abused over the years unfortunately. I firmly believe that for every negative there has to be a positive as they can't survive without each other. At 60 years young I am the first to admit that I have abused my body over the years so the negative that I am now type 2 Diabetic has the positive effect that I am looking after myself, a far better diet and losing weight, and pampering myself a lot more. If you haven't fallen asleep, thank you for reading my post and for any replies.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Can I ask what other people use please?

A podiatrist! Sorry, that wasn't meant to be flippant. In my case I was doing my feet more harm than good because I had less feeling in my feet. My podiatrist manages to do an excellent job and my feet are better than they have ever been.

Diabetics with peripheral neuropathy to any degree will potentially cause more damage than a non diabetic with 100% feeling in their feet.

Reactions: azure and Spirit01

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe get a couple of sessions with a podiatrist for some assessment and advice and managing calluses and hard skin safely. Also a podiatrist will safely manage a damaged toenail. Thereafter a good remedy is a daily massage of the feet that you can do yourself with one or two teaspoons of almond oil with one or two drops of lavender essential oil. This lubricates the skin and helps to heal fissures. Once healed, keep up the daily massage to avoid future problems. I fill an applicator bottle with almond oil, and add 8 drops of lavender oil, and this bottle treats my feet daily for weeks. And then I make another one.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Blimey there is so much information on this. Apart from on here I've been directed to Flexitol, E45, Coconut Oil :(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey there is so much information on this. Apart from on here I've been directed to Flexitol, E45, Coconut Oil :(
The problem with Type 2 is the neuropathy that you may get which reduces feeling in your feet. So if you tread on something you can't feel it and it can get infected which is what leads to gangrene and amputation etc.. thats why they say get your feet checked and take care of them. If you don't have the neuropathy then obviously look after them but you don't need to be so wary. At least that's what I have gleaned over the past year.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
My foot moisturiser of choice is L'Occitane's lavender foot lotion. It smells wonderful and does the job beautifully. It's quite expensive, but a tube will last ages.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it may sound like a load of faff, but it really isn't. Certainly podiatrist visits aren't cheap but they are worth it for problems that may be causing you pain or increasing problems like the ingrowing toenail I had. Massaging your feet daily with an oil doesn't cost much, the essential oil(s) could be considered an unnecessary extra but they have well-known healing properties. Also, by doing a quick foot massage for about 3 mins before bed means that you are keeping an eye on how your feet are feeling, whether there is any damage, or any changes in feeling that may be indicating neuropathy - or not, hopefully.

Reactions: azure and Spirit01

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Thank you all. I have taken lots of notes and spoken to one of my colleagues who is also type 2 and has been for many years. Interestingly she gets on prescription - free moisturiser, free pressure socks, free Podiatry so last night I wrote to my practice Nurse to see if I can have this and if not why seeing as how my colleague is only 7 miles away.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My brother-in-law is type one he frequently visits a podiatrist but has to pay for any treatment received.

CADDICKD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my Doctor referred me to a NHS Podiatrist, he looked at my feet and said I need to put cream on and ended the appointment. it was not much use. so I now pay to see a Podiatrist every 6 to 8 weeks.

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
all vegetables except potatoes and beans
The problem with Type 2 is the neuropathy that you may get which reduces feeling in your feet. So if you tread on something you can't feel it and it can get infected which is what leads to gangrene and amputation etc.. thats why they say get your feet checked and take care of them. If you don't have the neuropathy then obviously look after them but you don't need to be so wary. At least that's what I have gleaned over the past year.
I thought my feet were just toughening up as I got older, I often go outside at night bare foot and walk over stones and debris and assumed my old skin was getting leathery... but now I read this it might be my feet have less sensation... I'm going to wear those slippers regardless of how silly they make me look

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DavyG Have you had your foot check yet? The national guidelines say you should have an annual foot check for sensation and pulse. My nurse does mine on my annual reviews.