Fergus's Bread

mau

Hi,

i see mention of Fergus's bread all over the forum but i cant find it anywhere or the recipe!

i understand that he sells it but i am unable to get in contact with him to get hold of it. i've tried pm and also emailing [email protected] but no reply so far

Does anyone know how i can contact him, or have a recipe that you can share?

Thanks

David

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's some time since Fergus posted on the forum so don't know if the email address is still active, you could alternatively search the web as I'm sure you'll find something suitable, WhitbyJet ( a member who posts low-carb recipes) might be along soon with a suggestion for you to try :)

WhitbyJet

I am sorry I dont have a recipe for Fergus' bread, nor do I have his contact details, perhaps IanD can help, I know he posted a newspaper article featuring Fergus some time ago??

Here are my favourite bread recipes:
4 eggs

200g philadelphia cheese

100g creme fraiche

170g linseed (flax seeds)

2 tsp baking powder

100g ground almonds

30g wheat bran

bread spice = caraway seeds, fennel seed and coriander, ground and mixed together

grease a 2lb loaf tin

mix eggs, 1/2 tsp of bread spice and philadelphia with creme fraiche till its soft and fluffy, stir in the linseed, almonds and baking powder and roughly 30g of wheatbran to make it into a soft dough.

line a baking tin with greaseproof paper and bake at 180C for 50-55 minutes.

Spread with lots of butter and sprinkle with a bit of salt and finely chopped fresh herbs, or just top with whatever you want.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.p ... &Itemid=56

LSA = a mixture of finely ground golden flaxseed, sunflower seed and almonds, NZers can buy this ready made, I ground mine in the coffee grinder.

VERSION ONE: Ingredients (add to breadmaker bowl in this order):

7/8 cup tepid water
1 egg
1t salt
1T oil (or melted butter for a breakfast loaf)
1t sugar (the carbs from this are used in the cooking process)
2T whole cream milk powder (not skim) OR 2T plain unsweetened whey protein powder
1/4 cup oat bran
1/3 cup ground LSA (my own preference) or ground golden or plain flaxseed
1/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup gluten flour
2t breadmaker yeast (the red top one made by Edmonds)
1/2t caraway seeds (or 1/2t cinnamon and the grated zest of an orange or lemon for a breakfast loaf)
VERSION TWO: Ingredients (add to breadmaker bowl in this order):
7/8 cup tepid water
1 egg
1t salt
1T oil (or melted butter for a breakfast loaf)
1t sugar (the carbs from this are used in the cooking process)
1/3 cup ground almonds
2/3 cup ground LSA (my own preference) or ground golden or plain flaxseed
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup gluten flour
2t breadmaker yeast (the red top one made by Edmonds)
1/2t caraway seeds (or 1/2t cinnamon and the grated zest of an orange or lemon for a breakfast loaf)
Important notes:
Always use the RAPID BAKE option as the dough doesn't like being knocked down twice.
Set size to SMALL
Set crust to LIGHT
Once cooked either remove right away or open the lid to allow the steam to escape otherwise it deflates somewhat.
If you are gluten sensitive look for another recipe as this doesn't work for some people!
Store in a plastic bag in the fridge.
This keeps for almost a week, and even after a couple of days tastes completely fresh.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

multiseed loaf:

150g Mascarpone or Creme Fraiche or Philadelphia
4 eggs
90g linseeds, I preferr golden linseeds, they are nuttier I think
1tbsp almond flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt, caraway seeds
40g sunflower seeds
10g sesame or sunflower or pumpkin seeds
70g Butter, softened

Mix all ingredients really well together, you dont need a mixer, just stir with a wooden spoon. Fill into a lined baking tin, or better still use one of those silicon bakeware thingies. Sprinkle with extra seeds of your choice if liked.
Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes, fan assisted 150C or 165C without fan.

I sometimes use garlic and herb philadelphia or add sliced olives or sundried tomatoes, or add fennel or anis seeds, so play around with it.
Delicious spread with butter and topped with fresh finely chopped herbs, sprinkling of salt.

And another white bread:
2 eggs
160g low fat soft cheese or low fat curd cheese (smooth) drain off the whey
100g almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp locust bean gum
Salt

Mix all ingredients together really well, bake in a 20cm loaf tin or silicon dish (I tend to make double quantity to give me bigger slices)
Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 30-35 mins.

Again if you want to add herbs or anything else, just play around with the recipe, experiment.

I once ran out of gluten powder, used Xanthan Gum instead and it turned out ok too.

Its lovely lightly toasted under the grill spread with butter and sprinkled with splenda and cinnamon.

Tip: to make lining a tin easier, wet the greaseproof paper, scrumple it up into a ball, then smooth it out, so much easier than faffing around with slippery dry greaseproof paper.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have been to Germany or Switzerland you will have eaten bread like this, its very close to the real thing.

4 tablespoon of freshly ground flaxseeds
Mix together approximately 30 g melted butter
Mix with 1 egg
1 pinch sea salt
1 pinch of freshly ground coriander seeds
1 pinch of freshly ground cumin
Then stir 4tbsp of freshly ground flaxseeds

Heat oil in a cereal or salad bowl (diameter about 14 to 15 cm) for about 2 minutes on full power in the microwave.
Then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
Slice in half and top with whatever you want, through and show on your mood
(For persopn who posted this recipe it was butter straight from the alps, Tyrolean bacon and one scrambled egg and cress.).

Do not forget: to drink plenty, flax seeds can cause constipation.

http://kikilula.blogspot.com/2011/01/au ... stuck.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sesame toasties

The owner of this blog usually doesnt do bread replacements, but these sesame toasties are so delicious she made them a second time.
Sesame toasties are made with sesame seeds instead of flaxseeds.
Mix togeter approx. 50 g (+ 4g carbs/100 g) of sesame seeds, freshly ground, with 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 2 eggs and seasoned with some sea salt.
Then 2 minutes on full power in the microwave, and then cool on a wire rack.

These are ideal for breakfast spread with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon'sugar' (mix cinnamon with sweetener), the owner of this blog ate hers topped with roast beef, onion and pwpper strips, seasoned with salt and pepper.

http://kikilula.blogspot.co.uk/search?u ... date=false

I had a look at comments left on the website, one person said that she has made a whole tray full of these slices, baked them in the oven for 15 minutes at 150C fan oven.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flatbread - this is good with curry, the spices added are for an Indian type of flat bread, but you can omit and add whatever else you fancy, eg grated cheese, onion, roasted red pepper, chives, rosemary, feta, garlic......

70g ground almonds
salt & pepper
11/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tbsp melted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp black onion seed aka nigella seed, chopped fresh coriander

Add baking powder to the ground almonds, beat the eggs and add the melted butter, season with salt and pepper and mix into the ground almonds.

At the other ingredients you are using.

Spread the batter onto a well greased sheet of baking paper or silicon tray and bake in oven at about 170c for 15 mins.
Remove from the oven, brush with butter and sprinkle with Za'atar (this is for the Indian/Middle Eastern style bread).

Look through the low carb recipes thread for more breads, there is also a very good recipe for bread buns, they are really good for sandwiches or with soup.

mau

thanks for the advice Noble.

Whitby - wow, those recipes have opened up a lot of new ideas! i would never have thought of using philadelphia in a bread/loaf. i will need to stock up on some of the common ingredients though

will probably try the multiseed loaf first, sounds good for a decent toast in the morning :D

Thanks!