Fiasp - Postprandial Highs

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started a penfill of Fiasp this morning (was using Novorapid) after being prescribed it recently and I've noticed both meals I've had I've been in double figures at 2 hours after eating. I've been taking the dose I would have for Novorapid but I've been eating a bit sooner after my dose (one of the main reasons for wanting to try Fiasp).

Has anyone else had similar results and have you been able to lower your pre-bolus times with Fiasp?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Different people have experienced a variety of different results with Fiasp. I know of someone who saw no difference, someone else who is still pre-bolusing 20 mins before eating and me who is bolusing just before eating and seeing limited post prandial highs, but I'm also seeing that I have to get the dose right, or I see noticably higher results post prandially.

I'd double check your I:C ratios using Fiasp just to make sure they haven't changed. Eventually mine changed quite a bit, and I need 25% more Fiasp than Novorapid.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Different people have experienced a variety of different results with Fiasp. I know of someone who saw no difference, someone else who is still pre-bolusing 20 mins before eating and me how is prebolusing just before eating and seeing limited post prandial highs, but I'm also seeing that I have to get the dose right, or I see less of an effect than I want.

I'd double check your I:C ratios using Fiasp just to make sure they haven't changed. Eventually mine changed quite a bit, and I need 25% more Fiasp than Novorapid.

I was hoping I may be able to reduce my pre-bolus for breakfast down from 30 minutes on Novorapid for breakfasts like porridge or cereal. Interesting about the potential for a +25% dose roughly on Fiasp vs Novorapid - I'm not on large doses as I still seem to be in honeymoon right now. Hopefully it is a difference in ratios for me as I was looking forward to reducing the wait before eating (so much to the literature that accompanies Fiasp advising no more than 2 minutes in advance!).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
(so much to the literature that accompanies Fiasp advising no more than 2 minutes in advance!).
Yeah, well that is an interesting one. I probably wouldn't have my bolus finish more than 10 mins before eating, as otherwise I'd have a steep decline going on as my food started to absorb. But as I say, it doesnt' work like that for some people.

I'd test your ratios and make sure they are still correct, then go from there.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Does this seem to be the experience of most Fiasp users?
It seems quite varied. I've not heard of any reductions, but I've certainly heard from people that have seen no need to change.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It seems quite varied. I've not heard of any reductions, but I've certainly heard from people that have seen no need to change.

Right thanks.

Fiasp was mentioned at my last clinic appointment and quite fancied the idea of using the insulin due to it being faster acting, I'm going to ask to change to it and see how it goes, not too bothered if it means an increase in TDD as I'm not on a high dose anyway.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Right thanks.

Fiasp was mentioned at my last clinic appointment and quite fancied the idea of using the insulin due to it being faster acting, I'm going to ask to change to it and see how it goes, not too bothered if it means an increase in TDD as I'm not on a high dose anyway.
That seems reasonable. Mine's gone from TDD of about 42-45 to TDD of 53-57, which I'm very comfortable with.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That seems reasonable. Mine's gone from TDD of about 42-45 to TDD of 53-57, which I'm very comfortable with.

That's it, it's not a huge increase and if your getting other benefits from using the insulin why worry.

I think when new and better insulin's come on the market it's worth giving them a go, nothing ventured nothing gained as the saying goes.

Reactions: tim2000s

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - here's this afternoon. The 16u finished about 5 mins before I started to eat the 120g (logged mid meal), then there's Ice Cream 40 mins later.

Basically no post prandial rise.

fiasp quickie.JPG