Fiasp

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Being put on this as Novorapid just seems to take ages to react. Anyone any feedback on it please i.e benefits/disadvantages. Thank you.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like Fiasp, but it has it's quirks. It works much faster than humalog, except when my bloods are high, when it seems to take well over an hour to start to work, and then works slowly until bloods are under 10. Humalog seemed to kick in quicker in this situation. Generally i find it doesn't sting, but occasionally it can. I've got to reduce the time I pre bolus for a meal if bloods are under 5, otherwise I'll hypo.

Give it a go, and see how you get on.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Novorapid always took forever to get my blood sugar back to normal. If I was high in the morning my BG wouldn't be back to normal till early evening. With Fiasp, my BG is back to normal by lunchtime.
With Novorapid, there was no problem giving a bolus for food when BG was around 4, but with Fiasp I have to wait till after I've eaten, otherwise I go below 4 while eating. No problems when my BG is within my target range.
Just remember, everyone is different. Some feel pain with Fiasp, many don't. Many like it, some don't.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find Fiasp works far better for me than Novorapid ever did (Novorapid was far far from rapid a lot of the time) and am so glad I changed - must be about 5 years ago maybe (I was on it before my pump and am now still on it)

Some have said it seems to act a bit like water at times (normally when higher), personally for me I haven't found this, but everyone is different

But yeah for some it may not work quite so well, only way to find out is to try it.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you! I hope it works quicker as that is the whole point with me, Novo is so slow. If I wakeup andam10 to 15 it wil lliterally take almost 2 hrs to get to a normal level! Before i can eat breakfast. Stressing me out and time in target is rubbish so i worry about complications. Fingers crossed.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using it for a couple of years. It Took a bit of getting used to.
- for me, it is VERY dependent on my starting levels. If I am in the 4s or low 5s, it is instant. I cannot digest food fast enough so need to inject AFTER eating. If I am above 10, it takes an hour to work. In between, I can talk next as I start eating and I works great.
- it does not last as long out of the fridge. It starts to lose potency after a couple of weeks.
Once I worked this out, it has been great. No sensitive to it, no wearing off after a few months, ...

• Informative

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been on it 24 hrs and to be honest it is not solving the problem yet i e. Getting my bs down quicker. Waking up with12 to 16 readings and this morning i t still took over 2 hrs to get to 10!

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Although the very fact that I am out of range on waking will prevent me from doing a basal test in the morning...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Although the very fact that I am out of range on waking will prevent me from doing a basal test in the morning...
If you are having consistently high blood sugars in the morning, this suggests your overnight basal is too low.

• Agree

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you using a libre or dexcom @DiabeticDi ?

This would make it easier to tell whether you are flat at night (and just going up in the morning because of dawn phenomena) or just creeping up all night....

Assuming you are in the UK then you should qualify for one. If it's dawn phenomena that is the issue, you might have a case for a pump (assuming you want one).

• Agree

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone used FIASP manually, while on a pump which uses Novolog? For example, if you have a spike for some reason and are trying to get BG down, waiting for the Novolog in the pump to do it, even with a correction bolus seems to take forever. I mean over 4 hours! To be able to address the spike quicker would be ideal. Even taking Novolog bolus manually, seems to take too long. I think the spikes have resulted after an infusion set change and perhaps the infusion site is not good and I’m not absorbing the insulin. I then have to change the set and insert in new site. Getting back on track takes too long, imo.

Reactions: DiabeticDi

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you are having consistently high blood sugars in the morning, this suggests your overnight basal is too low.
Well sometimes my bs plummets as soon as i take it (last night 14 to 4 in 3hrs) and other nights it will be stable,in range,then shoot up about 5am..dawn ph or lack of Lantus?

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you using a libre or dexcom @DiabeticDi ?

This would make it easier to tell whether you are flat at night (and just going up in the morning because of dawn phenomena) or just creeping up all night....

Assuming you are in the UK then you should qualify for one. If it's dawn phenomena that is the issue, you might have a case for a pump (assuming you want one).
Yes I am on Libre 2. As I have said in another reply there are 2 differing patterns overnight. I've been told myhba1c is too good forsaken a pump.

• Informative

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone used FIASP manually, while on a pump which uses Novolog? For example, if you have a spike for some reason and are trying to get BG down, waiting for the Novolog in the pump to do it, even with a correction bolus seems to take forever. I mean over 4 hours! To be able to address the spike quicker would be ideal. Even taking Novolog bolus manually, seems to take too long. I think the spikes have resulted after an infusion set change and perhaps the infusion site is not good and I’m not absorbing the insulin. I then have to change the set and insert in new site. Getting back on track takes too long, imo.
I've injected Fiasp whilst on a pump using apidra and at a later date humalog. Was told to do this at pump training. Works far quicker for me, at any rate. You just have to be careful to not hypo.
Disclaimer, I'm not medically trained, and am not advising you to do this. What works for one person, may not for another.

Reactions: Prancy

Kirtomy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Arrogance, broad beans,
Hi Everyone,
I am just about to trial using Fiasp in my medtronic Minimed 640 G ( i.e not closed loop). I realise that it is meant to work more quickly - so did anyone change the timings of their basal profile? I am wondering if they need to be the same, 1/2 hour later or an hour later than Novorapid.

I also eat a low carb diet so am not sure whether Fiasp may work too quickly and I'll end yo with hypos. Any thoughts.

Reactions: Prancy

faustus67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone,
I am just about to trial using Fiasp in my medtronic Minimed 640 G ( i.e not closed loop). I realise that it is meant to work more quickly - so did anyone change the timings of their basal profile? I am wondering if they need to be the same, 1/2 hour later or an hour later than Novorapid.

I also eat a low carb diet so am not sure whether Fiasp may work too quickly and I'll end yo with hypos. Any thoughts.
Everyone's experience of Fiasp is a bit different. I switched from Novorapid a year or so ago and found no real difference in how quick it works. The advice I was given at the time was to leave everything the same initially and then see what happens. Not sure if that advice works for you though - I'd check with your care team.

Reactions: dancer