Fibroma

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with fibroma on the arch of their feet ? I have been attending the podiatrist the last few months trying insoles etc with no success. l have just had an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis I have two on my left foot which are giving me pain whilst walking and at the gym. They have referred me for surgery I was curious if anybody has had this and what the success rate is also the recovery time....Forgot to say im 51 type 2 and active
Thanks Jim

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi Jim, I haven't had fibroma but I've had surgery several times and I've also had a cellulitis infection on my lower leg, so I know how hard it can be to heal an area where the circulation is not as good as it could be. It would pay to have your blood sugars as well controlled as possible to help heal the wounds after surgery. The fibroma sound painful so fingers crossed you can get the surgery as soon as possible. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi @Jim 007*

There are some treatment options that can be offered rather than surgery.
https://nwfootankle.com/foot-health/drill/3-problems/174-fibroma-plantar

Treatment

Conservative (i.e, non-surgical) care measures can help reduce the pain and discomfort of a plantar fibroma. Some of the most common non-surgical approaches to treating plantar fibromas include:

• Stretching exercises.
  • A change in footwear to help distribute bodyweight more appropriately across the foot bones and joints. We generally recommend footwear that is completely flat (without heel elevation or toe spring), widest at the ends of the toes, lightweight, and flexible.
  • A toe spacerto help distribute bodyweight more appropriately across the foot bones and joints.
  • Physical therapy modalities that deliver anti-inflammatory substances directly into the fibroma.
Surgery to remove the plantar fibroma is commonly performed, especially if non-surgical methods fail to manage the pain, though possible problems associated with this procedure include:

• A flattening of the main foot arch
  • The development of hammertoes
  • A high incidence of recurrence

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks for the replies ...ive tried insoles stretches etc but no luck ..ive had it for over 2 years ans its got gradually worse pain when running or walking ..just not sure about the surgery

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with fibroma on the arch of their feet ? I have been attending the podiatrist the last few months trying insoles etc with no success. l have just had an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis I have two on my left foot which are giving me pain whilst walking and at the gym. They have referred me for surgery I was curious if anybody has had this and what the success rate is also the recovery time....Forgot to say im 51 type 2 and active
Thanks Jim

Hi, Jim, i have had several fibromas under both of my feet for many years, i could not walk much at all, only a few steps, with a stick, they were not linked to diabetes by anyone, it was thought they could be linked with undiagnosed hypothyroid disease and that they would improve after treatment - they never got worse but stayed the same , had ultrasounds over several years, now managed by the hospital orthotic centre, with individual insoles grooved to accommodate the fibromas, from moulds taken of feet. - operation was not advised in my case, i am long term type one, I believe treatment depends on the individual, I hope things sort out for you

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have them on my spinal cord and cauda equina and they give me hell!
No one is willing to operate because the risk of becoming paralysed is to great.
Leaving them means I have to live with a lot of pain and or a lot of drugs so It's a bit of a mix.
These things if left will probably paralyse me from the waist down but maybe not for twenty years.
I'm 62 and hope I'm not still around in twenty years.
No that isn't being depressed I'm a cheerful soul.
I just don't particularly want to be an old wreck in the corner peeing and phooing myself and trying to remember who I am.
If I can be eighty odd and still laughing and loving then fine I'm up for it.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ann thank you for sharing your experience It gives me more information I am slightly nervous that surgery is the best option

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jtl so sorry to hear of your troubles I hope you get the treatment you want ...try to stay positive and live for just now an old cliché I know but stay positive