Find it hard to sustain/get into relationships?

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't see a subject when I searched, and not all that sure how relevant it is, considering my love life is how you would say...."quiet" at the moment.

Do people find it hard to sustain, get into relationships when they have any sort of Diabetes? Of course, it shouldn't play a part, but what with constant monitoring, different eating habits and so on, anyone find it difficult?

I'd love to meet someone, probably down the line as my immediate concentration is working on getting my bloods under control, but fear for a number of reasons really. Not the most confident with girls, either due to how i feel I look, now with my condition and all sorts of things. I seemed to in the last couple of years run from any sort of commitment....to anything really, which I slightly put down to having diabetes and not knowing...tiredness, feeling like I should be home etc.

Be interesting to see how things go from here.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Didn't see a subject when I searched, and not all that sure how relevant it is, considering my love life is how you would say...."quiet" at the moment.

Do people find it hard to sustain, get into relationships when they have any sort of Diabetes? Of course, it shouldn't play a part, but what with constant monitoring, different eating habits and so on, anyone find it difficult?

I'd love to meet someone, probably down the line as my immediate concentration is working on getting my bloods under control, but fear for a number of reasons really. Not the most confident with girls, either due to how i feel I look, now with my condition and all sorts of things. I seemed to in the last couple of years run from any sort of commitment....to anything really, which I slightly put down to having diabetes and not knowing...tiredness, feeling like I should be home etc.

Be interesting to see how things go from here.
I never had an issue @JoeT1 . I usually would tell a potential love interest right from the start. But, like yourself I wondered if having diabetes would scare potential mates away.

Had an incident once in University - a rather bizarre twisted story. One of my friends from University who came from the Netherlands ... I was introduced to his father. The father seemed to have a lot of interest in me (thought it was strange) until my friend told me that his father was trying to find someone for his daughter (I did meet the daughter, she was nice and everything but there was no love there). It was just as well - I later found out that my friends father was somewhat of a white supremacist and was in the habit of trying to hook up his daughter with anyone who was christian and had blonde hair and blue eyes. As soon as the father found out I had diabetes - all efforts to hook me up with his daughter stopped ... LOL

That was fine as I had no interest in his daughter - but to this day when I think about it - BIZARRE, I ended up finding a beautiful intelligent woman a year later, we have been together ever since and produced two wonderful kids who are now in their 20s.

You should do all right, just stay away from the "Genetic Purists" :)

leahkian

When i was starting to go out clubbing many years ago diabetes was not in the public eye as it is now, my first GF was from the same village but we split after 3 years. I then had a few dates with other people and told them about being a diabetic most were fine but one did ask if she could catch diabetes if we kissed i said no but i will turn in to a frog. After that i thought i am a diabetic and if that puts people off then that's there loss. The next girl i met was a student nurse so that was fine apart from she was crazy. the one after that was a nurse( i must attract them) and she was fine with the diabetes. The funny thing was at the time of meeting her she was just about to start a diabetic course and would bring homework back with her. She got the highest mark that anyone had ever got, the person taking the course asked her how did she know so much so she had to tell her that her boyfriend was a diabetic and was helping her. The course leader said maybe he should run the course! but we split after 2 year then had another 2 year with someone else before i met the future mother of my 2 kids and we were together for 10 years. I am now alone bringing my 2 kids up myself and have been out a few times with different women but at the moment i am saving all my energy for the kids. So yes you can have a GF but if the girl finds she does not want to be with you let her go but as far as i can see you lack belief in your self you are still the same as any other person but you have diabetes which you did not choose to have and do not forget there are ladys out there with diabetes too. Your a you lad enjoy life and when the right person comes along she will be ready to be with you and the diabetes. You may go through a couple of dry runs but let them no asap that you are a diabetic just in case some thing happens and then they can help. When you find the one for you if she has a single mother drop me a line we can double date!!

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you should be OK, Joe.
No need to overthink it. You look handsome enough from your photo and you come across as likeable enough, so that's half the battle. It's also pretty normal to feel like you lack confidence- some people just cover it up with bravado. The T1 might scare some off, that's possible, but the kind of person scared off by something like that probably wouldn't be someone you want much to do with anyway. It might even help you meet people for all you know-at least if Leahkian's story is anything to go by!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It might just be that you've not met the right people yet. Someone who cares for you won't be put off by the diabetes and associated "oddities".
I know plenty of non-d people who eat differently and it's not stopped me dating/befrending/liking them.