Finding this hard...

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I've recently been placed onto Insulin and finding it really hard to cope with testing 4/5 times per day and finding my sugars are bouncing off the roof at 18mmo/l... My diabetic nurse says "Fix fasting sugars first" with the Tresiba. I'm taking this in a morning and achieving a fasting level of 12/13 in a morning at the moment. The problem is that I have lunch and I'm off the scale again.

I'm slowly increasing dosages by 2units every 3 days... Is this the right approach. The other thing is how do I avoid the massive spikes 2 hours after lunch and a meal?

Thanks in Advance....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@not-so-lucky
You really should ask your diabetes nurse those kinds of questions because most of us aren't medically trained and therefore aren't qualified to advise yiu about your medication.

As for avoiding massive spikes after meals, you might possibky reduce these by eating less carbs but, again, you should discuss that approach with yiur diabetes nurse.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh good idea to seek advice on what to do. Are you just on a basal insulin only? I use both basal insulin and bolus insulin which I take with my meals. It sounds like your insulin may not be working for you and hopefully your medical team can help out. Eg. if you take only one injection in the morning it may well be wearing off later in the day. But this is something your medical team should help you work through and hopefully get your BGL's evened out. I wish you the best. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is something for your medics to sort out - but if you are actually resistant to insulin then there is no way for it to control your blood glucose levels, so consuming fewer carbs is the answer to your question.

Reactions: not-so-lucky

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You are doing brilliantly! Stick with your dns advice and keep increasing units every 3 days if that what was advised to do. I was. I eventually found my insulin need.
When are you seeing your dn next?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I've recently been placed onto Insulin and finding it really hard to cope with testing 4/5 times per day and finding my sugars are bouncing off the roof at 18mmo/l... My diabetic nurse says "Fix fasting sugars first" with the Tresiba. I'm taking this in a morning and achieving a fasting level of 12/13 in a morning at the moment. The problem is that I have lunch and I'm off the scale again.

I'm slowly increasing dosages by 2units every 3 days... Is this the right approach. The other thing is how do I avoid the massive spikes 2 hours after lunch and a meal?

Thanks in Advance....

Is it only the basal insulin that you're taking currently? Some Type 2s also take a fast acting insulin to keep down meal spikes.

As you've only recently started insulin, it would be best to keep detailed records of your blood sugars and liaise with your diabetes nurse as much as you need to.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was recently put into insulin as well. You'll get used to the increased testing. Don't you have a bolus insulin to take with food as well. If only basal I would look at what you're eating to cause the spikes. Are you following carb?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It is something for your medics to sort out - but if you are actually resistant to insulin then there is no way for it to control your blood glucose levels, so consuming fewer carbs is the answer to your question.

I'm both insulin resistant and insulin deficient and insulin does control my BGL's. Diet alone doesn't work for me I'm afraid. The OP just needs to be seeking professional help to get the insulin regime right for them, no doubt that will include discussions about diet as well.

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your responses guys - sorry I've not got back to you all sooner. I'm currently working on the assumption of 1 unit to 10 carbs until the diabetic nurse can work out 'my ratio' (however that works lol) - I'm adding in corrective dosages after 2 hours with fast acting at the moment (I'm on Tresiba and Novo Rapid) - My morning sugars seem okay, although was a little concerned to see 4.2 this morning (only because I haven't been 'that low' in years) - I have quite a sedentary lifestyle and my concern is that while I'm fairly physically inactive, the dosages are doing 'ok' to keep me within range. Just concern about having a hypo as I've not experienced one before. I'm currently on antibiotics for a chest infection too, and I understand that sugars can elevate dramatically when your body is fighting infection.

Many thanks again for your replies - It's nice to know we're all in the same boat :) - Been a bit lonely with it as I'm the only person I know who has it :)

Reactions: Chook and Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your responses guys - sorry I've not got back to you all sooner. I'm currently working on the assumption of 1 unit to 10 carbs until the diabetic nurse can work out 'my ratio' (however that works lol) - I'm adding in corrective dosages after 2 hours with fast acting at the moment (I'm on Tresiba and Novo Rapid) - My morning sugars seem okay, although was a little concerned to see 4.2 this morning (only because I haven't been 'that low' in years) - I have quite a sedentary lifestyle and my concern is that while I'm fairly physically inactive, the dosages are doing 'ok' to keep me within range. Just concern about having a hypo as I've not experienced one before. I'm currently on antibiotics for a chest infection too, and I understand that sugars can elevate dramatically when your body is fighting infection.

Many thanks again for your replies - It's nice to know we're all in the same boat :) - Been a bit lonely with it as I'm the only person I know who has it :)

Hopefully you'll get your ratio right for you soon. :) I find my personal ratio is 5 units to 10g... sometimes 6 units, sometimes 4... it depends on the carb type for me. I'm insulin resistant though. The initial ratio of 1:10 was too low for me and kept my sugars higher. We're all different though.

Any yes, infections certainly do mess with your sugar levels. I hope you can get that knocked on the head soon.

Reactions: not-so-lucky