finger pricking

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is there a knack for finger pricking as after 5 months my fingers are so sore and black an blue any advice very welcome x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been testing for four months and get a little soreness sometimes but not too bad. I prick the sides of my finger tips, I rotate fingers, I have a different finger or thumb for each day and press for 20 or so seconds after a prick. If I reach a day for a particular finger and it's at all sore I use one not allocated to a day! It's a bit anal but it works for me. I also regularly rub hand cream into my fingers.

Reactions: karen8967

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @karen8967 . Sorry to hear of your sore/ battered finger tips. A few tips, apologies if you already do my suggestions.
Warm your hands/ fingers. Warm water or rubbing.
Rotate fingers, use both outer edges, move up and down from knuckle to finger tip.
Occasionally soak your fingers, then give them a gentle rub with a pumice stone to remove old and hard skin.
Moisturise with a quality hand cream.
Purchase a good lancet pen if needs be.
Change lancet.
Be confident, don't dither.
Finally, remember you're after a sample of blood, you're not drilling for oil !!! Make sure you have the lancet pen set to the depth that only breaks the surface of skin and not hitting bone.
Hope you find some relief.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been testing for four months and get a little soreness sometimes but not too bad. I prick the sides of my finger tips, I rotate fingers, I have a different finger or thumb for each day and press for 20 or so seconds after a prick. If I reach a day for a particular finger and it's at all sore I use one not allocated to a day! It's a bit anal but it works for me. I also regularly rub hand cream into my fingers.
i actually got told not to use my thumb or forefinger but occasionally do x

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most important thing (surprised no one mentioned it): Make sure you use a finger pricker that has depth adjustment and adjust it so you get minimal amount of blood out per prick. Most of those things go way deeper than they need to. They're all a little different so a setting of 3 on one may not get enough blood but it may be fine on another model.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @karen8967 . Sorry to hear of your sore/ battered finger tips. A few tips, apologies if you already do my suggestions.
Warm your hands/ fingers. Warm water or rubbing.
Rotate fingers, use both outer edges, move up and down from knuckle to finger tip.
Occasionally soak your fingers, then give them a gentle rub with a pumice stone to remove old and hard skin.
Moisturise with a quality hand cream.
Purchase a good lancet pen if needs be.
Change lancet.
Be confident, don't dither.
Finally, remember you're after a sample of blood, you're not drilling for oil !!! Make sure you have the lancet pen set to the depth that only breaks the surface of skin and not hitting bone.
Hope you find some relief.
thanks therower you have given me a few good tips to be getting on with i will try each and every 1 of them youve just given me a good laugh with your drilling for oil quote lol is it your top knuckle or from the mddle 1 ? also i dont dither its pop and straight in haha x

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most important thing (surprised no one mentioned it): Make sure you use a finger pricker that has depth adjustment and adjust it so you get minimal amount of blood out per prick. Most of those things go way deeper than they need to. They're all a little different so a setting of 3 on one may not get enough blood but it may be fine on another model.
yes my pricker has a depth adjustment i have it on number 4 which is fine for me as youve said 3s no good and 5 is too severe thanks thebignewt x

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The freestyle libre may provide some relief. Should be able to get a trial from your dsn and they've just announced its did to be able on prescription from November.
I find a really good petroleum based moisturiser helps me.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The freestyle libre may provide some relief. Should be able to get a trial from your dsn and they've just announced its did to be able on prescription from November.
I find a really good petroleum based moisturiser helps me.
ive spoken to dsn an she said i should meet the criteria for when its available fingers crossed x

Reactions: col101

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i actually got told not to use my thumb or forefinger but occasionally do x
Interesting you were told not to use thumb and forefinger, those are the sites that don't generally get sore for me. It's the middle and ring fingers I find get sore. I very rarely use my little fingers.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting you were told not to use thumb and forefinger, those are the sites that don't generally get sore for me. It's the middle and ring fingers I find get sore. I very rarely use my little fingers.
Interesting. I've never used my thumbs. I rarely use my forefinger. Almost always the last 3. Some people use the inside of theor forearms, one of the lancer devices I've used had a special head for using the forearm. I never used it.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will be using them from now on thanks

Reactions: Rachox

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
is there a knack for finger pricking as after 5 months my fingers are so sore and black an blue any advice very welcome x
I've been playing the guitar for about 40 years so I have major calluses on my finger tips, I find the sides of the fingers near the nail is the best option for me/and the thumbs. As well I noticed there have been times when I can't get any blood out usually because of room temperature and inactivity at the time I do the testing so I'll go for a short run, do a flight of stairs or run a tap of warm/hot water over my hand to get things circulating better. I'm lucky though - just looked at my finger tips now and no scars or bruising :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I've never used my thumbs. I rarely use my forefinger. Almost always the last 3. Some people use the inside of theor forearms, one of the lancer devices I've used had a special head for using the forearm. I never used it.
Dont think i fancy using my forearms