Finger tip nerve damage potential?

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I just had a thought after speaking with another diabetic - this is regarding the 'over' testing of my blood. Which isnt excessive, and ties in what most of you do & suggest, i.e. testing a couple of times a day to monitor how Im getting on.

They said that in 'some' cases, the finger tip nerve endings can become damaged over time to the point where I may not be able to feel anymore. I wondered if this was extreme, should I be worried - should anyone else be worried if they test 2, or even more times a day?

As it stood I felt that testing on waking & before my evening tea was bringing me satisfying results & made me feel like I was well 'tuned in' to myself. However now Im a bit worried so testing once every 2/3 days, which could allow for unmonitored highs etc..

(im a sensible type 2, diagnosed at the start of Oct, and my higher levels have come down lots over that time, with exercise, diet, and a push from metformin)

Many thanks in advance :)

Bkr

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't use your finger tip or center pad,,use the sides of the pad

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Jack, Ill try that - someone else had mentioned the ear lobe, which kind of makes sense but Im keen for an alternative :) - the sides make sense to me.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't know this from @catherinecherub link Wrap a doubled-up rubber band as a small tourniquet around the middle joint of your finger, using your thumb to hold it down while you lance. The tip of the finger will become engorged with blood. After you lance your finger, release the rubber band to let the blood flow in.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Provided you rotate your sites with every bg test and use a new lancet (if funds allow) then there's little risk of damage to the fingers, I test on average 7-8 times a day and have done for 30 years without any nerve damage, some type 1's who use insulin pumps test up to 12 times a day, if you only test twice a day the risks are minimal.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, thank you for the great detailed replies everyone - its a big help to me!! :) - not so worried now, to know that you have methods in place to maintain nerve function!

Happy xmas :)