First time flying since being diagnosed

IrishBird

Hey all,

Myself and the other half are thinking of going to away for a city break but im a bit nervous as it will be the first time i will be flying since being diagnosed. I have a letter from my diabetic team already but im not sure how to carry my needles and insulin etc.

Do i bring all my insulin and bits and pieces on with me as hand luggage?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, take it as hand luggage to minimise risk of loss in hold luggage, where insulin might be exposed to extremes of temperature - usually freezing at altitude. Declare sharps before your bag goes into X ray. Have letter in case security ask, but they don't usually. Take extra, but no need to take enough for an expedition for a few day's city break - I have to stop myslelf taking too much, as I have been away for months on end.

There was a good article by a doctor and a person with type 1 diabetes in Wanderlust (adventure travel magazine) last summer, but don't have details to hand here at work. You could try www.wanderlust.co.uk - not sure if past articles are available online or just for subscribers.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great advice by copepod, might I also add that you should split your insulin and equipment between you and your partner, this is just precautionary measure in the event that your hand luggage was lost or stolen.

Nigel