First time throwing up since diabetes diagnosis

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a pretty average day, everything went wrong for me yesterday because I went out for dinner. I've eaten at this restaurant many times before (even having the same meal before) but must have been unlucky. I got a chicken parmagiana, which was very nice and I bolused 2 units (a reasonable amount based on previous experiences). My numbers were fine at the restaurant (6's) but when we got home I started rising very quickly. I did a bit of walking to stabilise at 10. Sometimes being high makes me feel sweaty, so I had a shower. Unfortunately, this made my dexcom stop working, so I had to do an unexpected sensor change at 9pm (usually my bed time!). This meant I had to stay up watching my numbers for the next four hours (they came down a little and all seemed well). A couple of hours later, I experienced some nausea (despite a normal blood sugar). I told my mum about it, and that my latest blood sugar was 6.0 (I was worried about it dropping), and to come to the bathroom with me. Now at this point I didn't suspect the dinner, because occasionally I feel sick when my blood pressure is low so I thought it was the most likely problem. I didn't feel faint but I sat on the floor anyway. It wasn't the blood pressure - dinner came back up :( As I sat on the floor violently vomiting everywhere, I felt scared that my blood sugar would drop and I wouldn't be able to fix it, and maybe I would need glucagon which would make me vomit more, and I'd be stuck there vomiting forever. But thankfully I recovered, and my parents half carried me to bed where I checked my blood sugar. The one good thing that came out of the whole ordeal was that for the next couple of hours my blood sugars were absolutely perfect 5's-6's. Oh, and we didn't go out for breakfast like we'd planned but I did get ice cream :)

If you ever find yourself in the same situation: TELL SOMEONE! Make sure somebody knows you're not feeling well and that you're worried about your blood sugars. I was fine, but it felt reassuring to know my mum was there in case things went wrong.

Reactions: Antje77 and Struma

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks goodness you're ok, sounds like a pretty awful experience, well done to mum for taking care of you too :)