Fish and chips hahaha. Oh dear.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’m on 10 units insulin and 2000 metformin as a newly diagnosed 1.5. Was previously diagnosed as T2 three years ago. I have been keto for ages and when I was given the insulin I decided to do some infrequent testing of what I can maybe eat again. Long story short we had fish and chips tonight and went up to 140, but then fell sharply down to 85 after an hour. All good. Or so I thought. Then at the three hour mark I am spiking again, over 160. My question is: can you have a double spike with a high carb meal? It’s a first for me! Thanks for any insights.

Reactions: fiona35

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Then at the three hour mark I am spiking again, over 160. My question is: can you have a double spike with a high carb meal?
Yes, normal. It's the reason why many of us split our bolus (mealtime insulin) for meals with both lots of carbs and lots of fat, like fries, pizza, lasagne etc.
The splitting is usually done by taking part of the insulin before eating, and part some time later (or telling your pump to do so).

I guess you're on basal insulin only at the moment?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You might also want to update your profile to reflect your new diagnosis and medication. It can be very helpful when posting things without clearly describing your situation, like you did in this post.
On a quick glance members will think you're a T2, diet only, which can cause confusion.

Reactions: ShelleyDubs

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, normal. It's the reason why many of us split our bolus (mealtime insulin) for meals with both lots of carbs and lots of fat, like fries, pizza, lasagne etc.
The splitting is usually done by taking part of the insulin before eating, and part some time later (or telling your pump to do so).

I guess you're on basal insulin only at the moment?

Ah. I see. Yes, I’m on basal only at the moment. It’s all confusing, really. I know the meal tonight was pushing it but I guess I know now. Good to know about the carbs / fat thing, thanks.

Reactions: Antje77

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You might also want to update your profile to reflect your new diagnosis and medication. It can be very helpful when posting things without clearly describing your situation, like you did in this post.
On a quick glance members will think you're a T2, diet only, which can cause confusion.

How do I update my profile?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How do I update my profile?
On a computer, hover over your name at the top right of this page. A drop down menu will appear. Click 'Personal details' and go ahead.
On a phone, tap your picture at the top right of your screen and select 'Personal Details'.

If you use the app, I don't know. I've tried the app once and didn't understand the workings at all :sorry:.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On a computer, hover over your name at the top right of this page. A drop down menu will appear. Click 'Personal details' and go ahead.
On a phone, tap your picture at the top right of your screen and select 'Personal Details'.

If you use the app, I don't know. I've tried the app once and didn't understand the workings at all :sorry:.

Thank you. I’m on the app but can’t fathom how to change things. Will go on the laptop. Thank you for replying. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I’m on the app but can’t fathom how to change things. Will go on the laptop. Thank you for replying. Much appreciated.
You're welcome!
Just let me know if it doesn't work out and I'll tag some of my more computer-savvy colleagues :)

Reactions: ShelleyDubs