Flying with pump and using body scanners

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm trying to find out how many pump users have kept their pump on when walking through an airport security full body scanner (not a static metal detector).

If you did could you post up
What pump you wore through the body scanner
Did you also have a CGM on
When did you do this (or how many times if regular)
Has your pump/CGM been ok since you did this.

The reason I ask is there is a lot of conflicting guidance, with body scanner suppliers saying they are fine and pump suppliers saying they are not approved. It might be helpful to others if those that have could add there experiences here.

Thanks

PS do not want to start a debate on the rights and wrongs of this - just to find out how many are walking through them :)

Reactions: Picci
D

Deleted Account

I have an Animas Vibe.
Usually, I avoid going through the full body scanner and go for a pat down or just hand over my pump for a swipe.
Recently, airport security have applied polite pressure and my pump,and I have been scanned a couple of times with no adverse reaction to my pump. However, I have not felt comfortable doing this.
I recently asked my diabetes team who confirmed there has been no study on the affect of a body scanner on a pump: it would S not approved because they don’t know. Therefore, the advice is to politely decline the polite pressure at the airport which I shall follow in the future.
I have no experience of CGM or Libre with airport body scanners.

Reactions: Chas C

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Chas C - sorry probably not much help but I always take it off when going through and hand to security for a visual inspection, I'd rather not take the risk.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Chas C - sorry probably not much help but I always take it off when going through and hand to security for a visual inspection, I'd rather not take the risk.

It is very helpful, I will most probably do the same. 5/6 years ago we were having a similar debate on walk through metal detectors so just thought I'd ask, it took some time for the advice to change on these.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive never flown with a tubed pump, only with an omnipod. Omnipod is a patch pump so the reservoir is stuck on with the cannula, there is no disconnect option. But that's not a problem with going through the scanners because the reason pump manufacturers say not to wear you pump in the body scanners is because the radiation/X-ray etc can mess with the brain of the pump and confuse the pump settings. With omnipod the brain of the pump is the PDM, which isn't attached to you. So it's fine to wear a pod in a body scanner, even omnipod says it's fine.

Reactions: tircoed and Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's interesting @catapillar, I'd not thought about the Omni Pod, your partly correct the main brains are in the handset but the pod itself has a processor to allow it to communicate and act on the instructions it receives plus memory storage for the same. So it's software is less complicated perhaps but it's still carrying out instructions. Plus it's has manufacturers approval too.

D

Deleted Account

I have done this in multiple airports but found it does not work in the US where they will not touch it. They politely insist on a full body pat down or the body scanner.

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chas,

In my experience it all depend on the airport. I have had the worst experiences in the Uk, just recently in Newcastle Airport and Heathrow. In all the other European countries there has been absolutely no problem and they are very understanding of pump users and seemed to have had some sort of training. In Italian airports (where I usually travel most) I inform check in staff that I wear a pump with a metal cannula and have all sorts of diabetic supplies in my hand luggage and they take measures to inform security so I am dealt with politely and safely. This has never been the case in the UK where I have been manhandled many times. As for the scanners I’ve been forced into them on four or five occasions and I mean threatened with being taken into a room and given a physical examination by special officers ... this was because on those occasions I believe I had a very inexperienced persons in front of me who liked to wield power. I have mostly been with a small child at these times and have tried and failed to explain my fears of going into a scanner with metal inside my stomach as well as the possible damage to the pump... this does not interest them and they get very nasty and so I have just gone into the scanner in order not to upset my son and save him from yet another traumatic airport experience. Sorry for the rant but flying in he Uk has become a very stressful experience for me.
I wish you luck when flying with the pump, always take your hospital letter with you just in case they actually read it. Not one airport staff security has bothered to read mine, but you never know.