Flying with t1 diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , I’ve just in the last two months been diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic… I will be flying back to Ireland for the Easter… do I need a letter from the doctor to say I have the condition to get through security? I’ve spoken with a nurse at my surgery and she says she didn’t know, but thought printing out a copy of my medical record would be ok… I’m not so sure… would appreciate any advice

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It used to be the advice to take a letter from your doctor.
I have one which I have been carrying around on literally hundreds of flights (including many to Ireland) over twenty years. It is looking very tatty now.
I have needed the letter once.

Airline security do not care about the diabetes paraphernalia. They care about blades longer than 6cm.

For peace of mind, you could take a copy of your repeat prescription. Others have used this but I have not.

When travelling, always take at least twice as much of everything than you think you need and ensure it is all in your hand luggage.
My other advice, based on personal experience, it to ensure your hypo treatment is with you in the seat not he overhead locker in case you have a hypo whilst the seat belt sign is on.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimLibre

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Security have never cared when I've been thru many times. Just carry a letter from the GP or nurse and of course a copy of your prescription.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, don't worry. Security won't be concerned in the least. I've never been asked for (or even thought about bringing) any evidence of diabetes or medication. Just keep all your medication and needles in cabin bags and pop your insulin in the clear bag with your liquids.

I'm not 100% sure of the protocol when it comes to getting spare CGMs through the scanners and whether they damage the CGMs - but check with the manufacturer website to see what they have to say, don't rely just on the responses here. That said, the one you are wearing might be picked up by the body scanner - if it is and you are patted down, point it out and tell them what it is. They are well used to them now, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: I should have added that while I don't carry any evidence for getting through security, I do bring my repeat slips, but only so I can show what I am already on if I need healthcare while away and they can see what I'm already on and match or check for contra indicators.

Bon voyage.

Last edited:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
For over 40 years of air travel I have carried a letter from my Dr saying I'm carrying needles etc and never once been asked to show it ! I did get a replacement a few years back because the paper started to rot away .

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
No - you don't need one, I flew to Belfast a couple of weeks ago and no one stopped me, I had a letter printed around 10 years ago, paid £20 something and have never been asked for it. Despite flying regularly, Europe, International, it's not necessary.

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only time I have ever needed a GP letter was to enter Saudi Arabia, where they are unhappy about people bringing in any kind of drugs or medication.

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP