Folliculitis - diagnosis today

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hello - a while ago I posted that i was suffering from a lot of spots which were quite sore and on my back, chest and forehead and chin. I finally went to the doctor today (probably should have gone some months ago) and she diagnosed folliculitis and has given me a course of ABs for 10 days to, in her words, 'try and whack it'! It's apparenty a staphylococcus bacteria. If that doesn't clear it then it's an AB a day for some time by the sound of it. When I asked her was there any specific cause, she said that it was probably my diabetes. Just wandered if anyone out there has that this problem and how did they treat it?

Andy London

Greetings,

I have been lurking round the forum without posting for ages and feel a bit of a banana for not posting earlier. I started to get this when I was 30 (I'm now 40) they kept testing my blood with outbreaks trying to link it diabetes until 10 years later I was finally diagnosed with type 2.
It got real bad at times and I was placed on Roactatine twice which gave my joints pain. All I can say is that you must try and get rid of this condition as it scars your skin and I have areas especially on my head (this nastiness seems to like my hair follicles) where I have little crop circles through hair loss and scaring.
My advice would be to not let this slip, take as many AB's as you need to clear the outbreak up as it's best to get on top of it early.
Since being diagnosed type 2 in early March I have lost 3 stone in weight by using advice on this wonderful forum. Losing weight and keeping my bg down has improved my condition, but I did let it slip a bit and have some nasty scars also on my legs when I should have been addressing the condition with my G.P. My BG was 5.8 on the 31/03/2011, 12.2 on the 2/3/2012 and my next set of bloods I did last Thursday and am waiting for my new levels which be much lower.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Andy. It's nasty isn't it. I think mine's been lurking for some 4-6 months but only recently has it almost become unbearable. I've taken 3 ABs yesterday and woke up with my skin feeling a lot calmer on the back and chest especially.
Thanks for your reply and advice - I shall certainly go back as the doc advised if it doesnt clear as she said that a lower dose over an extended period may be needed. I don't want to speak to soon, but as I say, there seems to be an improvement already. What's worrying me too is - if you've had it once is it more likely to come back / flair up again? I should have asked the doctor this yesterday.

All the best with your new results. :thumbup:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well, the ABs are starting to clear it but my doc has advised me that I need to go on a longer course as it's probably only about 30-40% cleared. Interestingly though since taking the ABs to clear the skin bacterial infection my BSs have been the most stable and non-erratic than they've been for months. I wonder if the skin infection could have been causing high BSs?