Food labelled as 'Diabetic' vs 'Suitable for Diabetics'. Do you differentiate?

Do you differentiate between food with the label "Diabetic" vs "Suitable for Diabetics"?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters
M

mrspuddleduck

I don't differentiate between the two. If I'm honest as soon as I see either labels I completely dismiss the food regardless of what it is! So if you put the 'suitable for diabetics' label on a cauli then I am now programmed to walk past the cauli!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't touch either but.....

I suppose you could label food as "Suitable for diabetics" with a rubber stamp. You could stamp everything in the fresh meat aisle, the deli, the entire fresh veggie aisles and anything in the rest of the store that had carbs lower than the shopper liked.

Things with the word "Diabetic" on them would mean that the food had a meaningless word on them since I didn't think that food could suffer from diabetes. I think |I would tip toe past those as I do with things with the words "Low Fat" on.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
They mean the same thing and I wouldn't buy either. Duh!

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="QR93, post: 961905, member: 204066"
Subtle wording changes can have an impact:

I.e. "Diabetic" written in big writing on the front may imply that this food is made only for people with diabetes whilst "Suitable for diabetics" written on the packet may imply that in fact anyone can eat it, including people with diabetes.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree in theory with those implied distinctions and was just about to post to say this. However, being a suspicious old biddy, I'd actually examine the nutritional labelling to make any distinction. But when in doubt, ithis is one of the things I'd do anyway regardless of what other claims were being made (or not) regarding suitability for diabetics...

I think that many people on this forum are well educated in diabetic dietary considerations, and you may well get completely different reactions and responses from others who don't have similar knowledge regarding what is or may be suitable food for them or not.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In short?
Most "food stuffs" or "treats" with the word Diabetic on the labelling in any context reads LAXATIVE..

No I'm not dyslexic.
But I have been diabetic for a long time & well meaning people have gifted me such things in the past. Not any more.
No one realy wants to get "caught short" at their own birthday party... ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A definitive 'no' from me. Leading question should get the answer you are looking for.

Oh and I think the horse is well and truly expired, so maybe you could stop beating it.

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A definitive 'no' from me. Leading question should get the answer you are looking for.

Oh and I think the horse is well and truly expired, so maybe you could stop beating it.
I wasn't leading or at least I tried not to :eek:

And Yes, I agree! I posted that I have my answer on the first page but it was probably too subtle.

Thanks for putting up with me. And sorry to all those if I've done your head in .

Last edited by a moderator: