food

charliepup9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all savoury food
are there any cookery courses for us diabetics anywhere in the uk.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went on a course called Heart Hub (I think) which is a local monthly session for people with diabetes and/or heart conditions. It included "healthy" meals such as pasta bake and curry with rice. After about three sessions I explained this was no good for my diet and stopped going.

Reactions: 4 people

charliepup9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all savoury food
:rolleyes:
I'm curious to know why people with diabetes need cookery courses? :)
Hi, I want to try new things, I tend to eat the same things week after week, need to get some more up to date eating, When I,m bored I eat all the wrong things, so a couple of days away on a course would be great.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try reading the low carb diet forum what have you eaten thread for some new ideas and if you see anything you like you can ask for recipes etc

charliepup9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all savoury food
I went on a course called Heart Hub (I think) which is a local monthly session for people with diabetes and/or heart conditions. It included "healthy" meals such as pasta bake and curry with rice. After about three sessions I explained this was no good for my diet and stopped going.
Hi there is supposed to be a course called desmonds run by the nhs, but nobody at the nhs knows anything aout it:(

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll get all the wrong advice on that about piling your plate with healthy carbs and low fat foods.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@charliepup9 Have a look at the DESMOND website:
http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/
but it's nothing to do with cookery lessons !

If you want to try new foods, do as suggested already, and look at the low carb area of the forums. There are some recipe threads there, and if you want to explore further try Googling for low carb recipes and/or menus. There's a wealth of stuff out there and it's all free too! :p:p:p

Robbity

PS Don't buy the "wrong food" - if it's not in the house then you can't be tempted - and you definitely can't eat it...:eek:

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
:rolleyes:
Hi, I want to try new things, I tend to eat the same things week after week, need to get some more up to date eating, When I,m bored I eat all the wrong things, so a couple of days away on a course would be great.
Hi Charlie all you need to do is substitute sugar with sweetener replace flour with ground almonds if baking. Do an internet search plus this forum and you will find loads of different things to make and try. (preferably not all at once ) :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
are there any cookery courses for us diabetics anywhere in the uk.

Could be a business opportunity waiting to happen :)

Seriously though, you just cook meals to suit your own diet needs, I don't think you need to be taught that if your already competent in the kitchen.

Reactions: 6 people

charliepup9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all savoury food
@charliepup9 Have a look at the DESMOND website:
http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/
but it's nothing to do with cookery lessons !

If you want to try new foods, do as suggested already, and look at the low carb area of the forums. There are some recipe threads there, and if you want to explore further try Googling for low carb recipes and/or menus. There's a wealth of stuff out there and it's all free too! :p:p:p

Robbity

PS Don't buy the "wrong food" - if it's not in the house then you can't be tempted - and you definitely can't eat it...:eek:
your so right and I am so bad when shopping, I end up getting the same old stuff, anyway can I join this show and tell gang:oops:

charliepup9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all savoury food

Seriously though, you just cook meals to suit your own diet needs, I don't think you need to be taught that if your already competent in the kitchen.
you could be right, but Struggle to cook for myself,I could not teach someone else, I would end up battering them with a pan.:D

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
anyway can I join this show and tell gang:oops:

Yes @charliepup9 please do! It' just my name for those of us who put their diabetic "vital statistics", e.g. medication, test results , in their signatures, so all you need to do is add whatever information you want to share.:) It can sometimes help if you have a query and people can see at a glance how you're doing, which could help them give you appropriate advice.

Robbity

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

How about a
mac.png
No chips, no buns, no doughnuts, no coke, just plain burgers with or without cheese, lettuce, full english breakfast without fried bread, coffee with double cream, coke zero, and greek yoghurt and berries to replace the McFlurry. :D

Oh, and knives and forks:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Is the die instead of dia intentional??