For Mrs Puddleduck

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We were just discussing carb and fat consumption on another thread, and I didn't want to derail that one.

The conversation went something along the lines of Mrs P can't eat much fat, so struggles to lower carbs and up the fat intake (or eat fat at all), and therefore struggles to maintain weight.

It reminded me of Medium Chain Fatty Acids, aka Medium Chain Triglycerides, and MCT.

Now, i don't want to promote any of the hysterical hype that coconut and MCT oil have been getting on the web (cos i think some of the claims are OTT and rather silly), but the key reason i have brought the subject up, is because MCTs are much easier to digest than most fats, and are sent directly to the liver for processing. This means that ppl with gall bladder issues can often tolerate MCTs better than other fats.

Don't worry about them banging on about weight loss, in the links below. It is just a question of adding in MCTs and seeing if you can tolerate them...

No idea if this will help you @mrspuddleduck , but i thought it was worth mentioning...
(I would have sent a PM, but it wouldn't send)

A few links (some more hysterical than others)

http://paleoleap.com/mct-oil-need-know/

http://www.epilepsy.com/article/2007/8/mct-diet

http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/medium-chain-triglycerides

https://www.pinterest.com/dashizmom/mct-oil-recipes/

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

@Brunneria thank you loads, definately worth some serious exploring. My 'diet' for want of a better word, drives me crazy! I'm on a constant rollercoaster of struggling with no fats, problems absorbing carbs anyway but if I do they rocket my blood sugars and we won't start on the proteins!! Thank you, thank you, thank you :) xxxxx

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is only since having a freestyle libre, that i have started to fully appreciate what an impact the fat content of a meal has on the speed and height of the spike, so i hope it helps!

Someone, somewhere once told me that it was possible to take enzymes to help fat digestion too... But i don't even know enough on that to even start googling it. :)

M

mrspuddleduck

It is only since having a freestyle libre, that i have started to fully appreciate what an impact the fat content of a meal has on the speed and height of the spike, so i hope it helps!

Someone, somewhere once told me that it was possible to take enzymes to help fat digestion too... But i don't even know enough on that to even start googling it. :)
I'm guessing they may have meant the dreaded Creon which is pancreatic enzyme replacements to allow some absorption of fats, carbs and proteins.

Reactions: 2 people

thearcher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya

I am on "the dreaded Creon"

But I have never heard it called "dreaded", is it so bad to be on these tablets ? I take 1 Creon 10000 (150mg) directly before each meal, I also take Omeprazole for acids every day

Info gratefully received

M

mrspuddleduck

Hiya

I am on "the dreaded Creon"

But I have never heard it called "dreaded", is it so bad to be on these tablets ? I take 1 Creon 10000 (150mg) directly before each meal, I also take Omeprazole for acids every day

Info gratefully received
Hi @thearcher sorry it was abit if a joke (the dreaded bit) especially people like me who have to take large amounts! Im on 600 x 25000 a month, (20 capsules a day) and have been taking them for nearly 17 years! So far I've taken approximately 120000 capules so they have become a bit 'dreaded' to me!!:D

S

Shar67

Hi I'm on Creon as well, it would be nice not to have to take them, but the other option is not nice

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi I'm on Creon as well, it would be nice not to have to take them, but the other option is not nice
I agree 100% @Shar67 horrendous!!, The ultimate other option, having a permenant tube feed has been my daily battle for about 15 years - avoiding that for so long has been one of my proudest achievements and Im determined to keep eating as long as I can!! That's why I appreciate any suggestions and explore them all!! :) xx