Four stages of type 2 diabetes identified by US doctors

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Until they recognized that lowering insulin is the solution...there's not going to be much progress to this T2D pandemic...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Research and application.
I think the problem is, if we are talking say 10 years ago, the research would have resulted in the advice to have more exercise, cut out fats and eat more wholegrain carbohydrates. Maybe now you would get better advice but it seems unlikely in the past. Certainly a good time to carry out fasting insulin tests would be before prescribing insulin to type 2's who may well have excess insulin already. However the main problem seems to me to be the dietary advice rather than the lack of testing.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came on this site over 6 years ago, nearly seven, and the low carb advice was there for me. I believe this site and forum has been going far longer than that. The information was out there.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think the problem is, if we are talking say 10 years ago, the research would have resulted in the advice to have more exercise, cut out fats and eat more wholegrain carbohydrates. Maybe now you would get better advice but it seems unlikely in the past. Certainly a good time to carry out fasting insulin tests would be before prescribing insulin to type 2's who may well have excess insulin already. However the main problem seems to me to be the dietary advice rather than the lack of testing.

Yes, but that was not your question. I do not know how long I have been insulin resistant, I did not know that I had reached Pre D levels and had not a Scoobys that I had tipped over into full blown T2.
What I definitely would have known is that earlier diagnosis would have given me a choice of options (including the option to ignore). How I would have made changes to lifestyle would have depended on my research at that time and if the best info was (and it probably was) high carb low fat then that might have been what I chose to do do but ignoring the warning would not have been an option for me.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
It is often said by type 2's on here "If only they had tested me for high Insulin years ago". That's all very well in hindsight but what would they have done about it? I suspect most people, like me, having been told they were pre-diabetic would think " I must do something about it - one day".
I was only diagnosed because I read Kraft’s book and insisted on the labs, paying for them out of pocket.
Without those results, I probably would have been diagnosed as pre- diabetic in a few years.
Years later, they would have diagnosed me as T2 requiring insulin.
I might never have received a correct diagnosis of early autoimmune diabetes.
Without the correct diagnosis, I would probably still be splurging on high carb foods, stressing my beta cells, exacerbating my autoimmune response, and killing off what beta cells I have.

I think with proper education on prevention, people would change. Especially when told what their child’s future would be if they didn’t address the cause of the problem now.