Free for postage scheme

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I think this is in the correct place but if not could admin move it to where they think it should be.

In another forum for something quite seperate from Diabetes that I belong to, they use a way of sending unwanted items to people who they would be useful to. It depends to a certain extent on honesty as do all things. If someone is in genuine need of a meter and strips and cannot afford it, those who receive spare meters and strips they cannot use or do not intend to use could supply that meter or strips to someone for the cost of the postage by accepting stamps sent to them by that person. There are some on here I have read who are in need as newly diagnosed and need help to discover what is happening to them but cannot afford it. This is because as you know very very few newly diagnosed T2s get meters and strips to test free, but have to buy their own. A lot of people have spare meters and they get put in a drawer or meters are changed and strips are thrown away. We could utilise these supplies in a better way for the benefit of others who need them. I know that a lot are put on ebay but there are I am sure people who would like to help others in a bad situation. Does anyone feel there could be a way to start a scheme like that or am I living in cloud cuckoo land? If it costs nothing to the person with the spare supplies and they receive the cost of the postage it seems a good way to help, yes unscrupulous people could get into the system and plead poverty but I was thinking of people who had been on the forum and were known by other members to need help through past postings.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I agree that we should be helping each other in whatever ways we can. My last spare meter went to my diabetes UK local group so that someone else to benefit from it.

Regards

Doug

Mileana

I am already trying to do just that. It does depend a bit on the receiving person(s) whether they want their address disclosed in full to another anonymous living being but personally, I'm all for that suggestion in some form.

There will always be rotten apples - I am just hoping that most apples don't have diabetes, really, and thus won't care.

I have no interest in keeping meters that aren't being used at least, and although I won't have tonnes of extra strips, I will be able to send a few so that at least a person knows how it works and what the benefit is and can start arguing the case of 'educational'.

So, yes. All for it. As for a few stamps, oh well, if you ask me but others may feel differently - stamps aren't going to be useful to me anyway I don't think as I'm from a different country.

-M

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
OK not a great amount of enthusiasm. Maybe have to leave it this time, but hey if anyone has a spare meter they do not want at least read the newcomers introductions and see if anyone needs one and cant afford it and get in touch with them. I will if I get any spare supplies.