Freestyle libre 2 giving false highs

holdem

Hi i have read a lot of the threads on here about the freestyle libre 2 to see if any similarities. However i cant see any that match my questions.

Ive had freestyle 1 for a fair period of time like around 2 years. I had some teething problems but after giving it a 24 hour resting period before starting it and to try and start it when my bloods were within range i found it to be on the whole very helpful.

I have moved to my 4th freestyle 2 pod and my scans are so much higher than the blood tests. Some pods by a consistent 5 units others by upwards of 7 units higher!

It is quite alarming. Ive spoken to libre who ask me to send in the sensor for analysis but they say it takes 20 weeks to get back to me.

Is there any tips or work arounds for libre 2 from anyone whose experienced such issues.

For info im relatively lean, put it on my arm (the underside) as recommended. I use an iphone 12 with the uptodate app.

Its frustrating on a fair few levels and would be great to get to the bottom of it before i revert to libre 1.

many thanks in advance

Reactions: EJTC

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only thing that I have found with Libre 2 compared to the first release is that it takes longer to bed in.
I need to insert my sensor 48 to 72 hours before activating otherwise, for the first day or two, it seems to report random numbers.

Most reports I have read suggest L2 is more accurate than L1.
I use xDrip to read mine as it allows me to calibrate when Libre is out so maybe I don't notice as much.

The other thing to be aware is that Libre (and other CGMs) are not accurate when high (or low) and often over read. I think this is partially to do with the accepted error tolerance being a percentage but I think it is more than that/

holdem

ok thanks for your response.
I have tried a new one today which i let bed in for 48 hours as i thought would try that.

my bloods are currently 7.4 but my scan is 10.8

its been on an hour or 2 so will give it a couple of days to see how it is.

thank you

Reactions: In Response

CoolUserName

Hi,
I can't offer much in the way of a solution I'm afraid but I can empathise. My son is similarly slim and uses a Libre2 and occasionally we have a sensor that reads up to 3mmols higher. As he's a minor I usually 'plug it in' and we use the back of his arm - which I suppose is the underside if you hold your arm our, palm facing upwards at the fattest bit. Curiously it's usually his left arm that we get the dodgy readings from. He's right handed so maybe his left arm is lightly leaner and there isn't as much fat layer for the sensor to use?
We apply the sensor 24 hours before it's activated too.
I usually phone Abbott and they send a replacement.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you looked at your Libreview online graph, sometimes the graph reads differently to scans, often lower peaks. It's as if a scan is trying to anticipate your BG based on where it was going 15 mins ago.

holdem

yup i have but it just is still wildly out.

I have started going back to the gym after a long absence and perhaps thats a factor too.

But i think i am going to revert back to my libre 1 sensor.

Which is a shame as the alarms are a benfit.

I find the high readings confusing as i feel that both sensors must share so much of the same sort of parts and technology.

Thanks for your replies.

Nick25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is an old thread but I have just encountered the same discrepancies . I had an incident of genuine high glucose level ( though not I now suspect as high as Libre indicated), but since then it has indicated regular higher than expected readings . After two days of a few random glucose tests I have now had to double check every test and the Libre sensor is consistently recording 4.5 higher than glucose readings. I understand that the different measuring methologies can provide slightly differing timing for changes in levels , but the discrepancy is happening when both levels are steady over a significant period.
It is very annoying because the falsely high readings have completely ruined the average calculation, the estimated HBa1 and distorted the weekly trends.
They are very expensive to buy privately and my GP was already a reluctant prescriber - forced into it by consultant, so I do not fancy my chances of seeking an early replacements prescription if it is failing.
Someone mentioned getting a replacement direct from Libre - anyone with experience of that? Do they just want it back to test or will they issue a replacement ?

Junket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have had this issue so good to know I am not alone. I'm type 2 so not so critical but I'm trying to get into remission. The first ones I had were fine then I had several that were reading high. Libre replaced 2 - it's pretty easy you can just email them. Now I have another and it's still reading about 2mmol higher. On the third day now. I'll leave it and see how it goes and next time try leaving it for 48hours before starting.

Nick25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbots very efficient. Give them a call today if you can. 0800 170 1177. Good luck
Since this thread has been resurrected I confirm that Libre did replace two sensors when I contacted them. They did go through a series of questions to check the issues and asked that I return the faulty sensors.To their credit they did replace within 48 hours.

That said, I do agree the Libre seems very prone to exaggerating the high and low readings. It is difficult to ignore a 3.8 and falling and easy to over compensate for a 16 and rising - the only solution being to cross check with a blood test - completely defeating the point of the system.

• Agree
Reactions: holdem and aylalake