Top_Barman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my first post for ages.... Had an email from Abbott and they want me to try one of their products a "Freestyle Libre sensor" although I've applied for one, I have never wanted to use this type of device and in all honesty the finger pricking is one I feel safe with.

Never investigated these devices and don't know much about them, although I know people use them, but, are they safe, are they the way forward and what are the pro's and con's associated with these devices and do T2 diabetics recommend the use of such a device.

Reading post on the bleeding aspect of such devices leads me to think there may be a big problem with them.

I would welcome any feedback on the use of sensors and ask how do they actually test blood glucose ?

I understand that the blood is randomly or continually tested but if the sensor pricks into the skin would blood not clot ? and dangerously cause potential blood clots in the body ?

I've not received my FREE "FreeStyle Libre sensor" yet so do I give it a try and see for myself if it works for me or continue with a finger prick to check my blood glucose ?
Hi,
I'm Type 1 and use the Sensor alongside Finger Blood tests.
The sensor does not test blood, but interstitial fluid, so no real chance of clots causing problems.
I've had the sensors since they were first available on prescription, so about 5 and a half years.
Only had blood come out of it on 3 or 4 occasions, so out of about 140, not many.
The only con I have is that they are not always accurate, but usually settle down after about 24 hours.
If they are inaccurate, but consistent, it is still very useful if you are out somewhere, possibly unable to have clean hands to have a finger blood test, ie When I'm at the allotment gardening, if my alarm goes off on the sensor (I have it set at 4.2) Even if it is reading lowewr than normal, I will know my blood glucose is heading down, and I need to eat/drink something.
If you can get a Free Libre, give it a go and see how it works for you.
It's been a total game changer for me. Good Luck.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I had my doubts about the Libre after reading comments on the forum about being inaccurate , lagging behind finger pricks , falling off etc but I have just applied my twelfth sensor today and not yet had one single problem ,they can be a little inaccurate when your bg is very high or low but give you an idea were you are going , never had one fall off and indeed do need a bit of pulling off after 14 days and not been unlucky enough to have a bleed yet , all in all I couldn't recommend it more and would not want to manage without it .

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my first post for ages.... Had an email from Abbott and they want me to try one of their products a "Freestyle Libre sensor" although I've applied for one, I have never wanted to use this type of device and in all honesty the finger pricking is one I feel safe with.

Never investigated these devices and don't know much about them, although I know people use them, but, are they safe, are they the way forward and what are the pro's and con's associated with these devices and do T2 diabetics recommend the use of such a device.

Reading post on the bleeding aspect of such devices leads me to think there may be a big problem with them.

I would welcome any feedback on the use of sensors and ask how do they actually test blood glucose ?

I understand that the blood is randomly or continually tested but if the sensor pricks into the skin would blood not clot ? and dangerously cause potential blood clots in the body ?

I've not received my FREE "FreeStyle Libre sensor" yet so do I give it a try and see for myself if it works for me or continue with a finger prick to check my blood glucose ?
If you are unsure, may I suggest you take up their offer, get the sensor then forward it on to me and thereby save me £50?

To my mind the only downside to trying the freebie is that you then want subsequent ones, which you would have to pay for.

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Recovery and Relaxation...
Hi,
I'm Type 1 and use the Sensor alongside Finger Blood tests.
The sensor does not test blood, but interstitial fluid, so no real chance of clots causing problems.
I've had the sensors since they were first available on prescription, so about 5 and a half years.
Only had blood come out of it on 3 or 4 occasions, so out of about 140, not many.
The only con I have is that they are not always accurate, but usually settle down after about 24 hours.
If they are inaccurate, but consistent, it is still very useful if you are out somewhere, possibly unable to have clean hands to have a finger blood test, ie When I'm at the allotment gardening, if my alarm goes off on the sensor (I have it set at 4.2) Even if it is reading lowewr than normal, I will know my blood glucose is heading down, and I need to eat/drink something.
If you can get a Free Libre, give it a go and see how it works for you.
It's been a total game changer for me. Good Luck.
Thank you very much for the interesting information.

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had my doubts about the Libre after reading comments on the forum about being inaccurate , lagging behind finger pricks , falling off etc but I have just applied my twelfth sensor today and not yet had one single problem ,they can be a little inaccurate when your bg is very high or low but give you an idea were you are going , never had one fall off and indeed do need a bit of pulling off after 14 days and not been unlucky enough to have a bleed yet , all in all I couldn't recommend it more and would not want to manage without it .
Hi , I see that you mention pulling it off after 14 days ? Is this the recommended time to leave the sensor on the arm ?

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you are unsure, may I suggest you take up their offer, get the sensor then forward it on to me and thereby save me £50?

To my mind the only downside to trying the freebie is that you then want subsequent ones, which you would have to pay for.
Ah right so they have to be readily replaced ?

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi,

They work by interpreting values in the interstitial fluid just under the skin.
The probe from the sensor gets “hole punched” into the aforementioned layer.
I’ve been using them for years & could count the time they caused a bleed on one hand…

They certainly show trends & fill in the gaps between the finger pricks..
Thank you.

Reactions: Jaylee

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I’ve used them for about 9mths. It’s recognised that they are not as accurate as finger pricks but for me a finger prick gave a picture at that one time. The sensor gives a picture throughout the day which for me is useful. You can see sugars going down or up and react accordingly. The libreview.com that automatically stores and translates your data is also another good piece of kit.
The one downside for me is I haven’t yet had one that’s continued to work on a holiday abroad in the sun. Frustrating but in big picture quite mino. I think they’re an excellent addition.
Grateful for your information.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Hi , I see that you mention pulling it off after 14 days ? Is this the recommended time to leave the sensor on the arm ?
The sensors last for 14 days so yes you replace them every 14 days .

Reactions: Billy H

Billy H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-all medics who think they know better than me
I’ve used them for about 9mths. It’s recognised that they are not as accurate as finger pricks but for me a finger prick gave a picture at that one time. The sensor gives a picture throughout the day which for me is useful. You can see sugars going down or up and react accordingly. The libreview.com that automatically stores and translates your data is also another good piece of kit.
The one downside for me is I haven’t yet had one that’s continued to work on a holiday abroad in the sun. Frustrating but in big picture quite mino. I think they’re an excellent addition.
I have been using Freestyle Libre since being rediagnosed as T1 in April 2023 when starting on insulin management.
The monitor is a tool in my diabetes management allowing constant awareness of glucose levels although I use finger pricking to calculate insulin requirements or if the monitor indicates impending high or low levels.
The combination as enabled me to stay within my chosen range (3.9 to 9.5). Finger pricking only causes damage to fingers while the monitor has limitations and can be affected by external factors such as exposure to heat.