FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently 7.4 on machine and 5.7 on libre
I'm having the exact same problem...libre shows I've been in a day long hypo...registering LO on several occasions...where finger prick tests on my contour are saying I'm at a perfectly healthy and happy 5.4. I've called customer services today who have offered a replacement sensor. As others have said...I do wonder if there's a possibility of human error...although not sure how as positioned exactly as illustrated.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Natalie1974, how long have you had the sensor on for? I tend to see wider variances after about 10 days and your sensor sounds kaput.

@nskelton, how hydrated are you? Many of us have found that drinking too little water and too much coffee throws the readings, often by a lot.

nskelton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Natalie1974, how long have you had the sensor on for? I tend to see wider variances after about 10 days and your sensor sounds kaput.

@nskelton, how hydrated are you? Many of us have found that drinking too little water and too much coffee throws the readings, often by a lot.

I do drink plenty, and dont drink coffee! we will have to see

Griffter15

I've been considering getting a libre but I am a bit concerned about the accuracy.

I'm confused though... is there no calibration? I used a cgm as part of a trial a few years back and it required a couple of blood tests a day to reset to the right level. If this is the case I'd be fine with this. But if the reading doesn't correct once it realised it was wrong I'd be disappointed.

Desbrina

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
my sensor is being a bit out now its at the end of its life, has just over 24 hours left and its showing 3.5 while blood test is showing 5.2, been pretty reliable up till now, though it may also have something to do with the fact the sensor is nearly off

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @tim2000s...I'm only 6 days in on this sensor...the previous one I had was fine with only a very small variation between finger prick readings. The variations can vary hugely from 1.2 to 3.4...closest it came was 0.6 but only on one occasion. I'm thankful that previous sensor was ok or I may well have dismissed the libre completely based on this experience.

Griffter15

As far as I'm aware there is no way to calibrate the sensor.
After a long wait to receive mine I've had to return it, and been told a replacement is on it's way. That was 3 days ago, heard nothing else since.
From the start mine was nearly 4 points out from my blood tests, and would vary throughout the day. When it showed a reading nearly 6 out I'd had enough and arranged a replacement.
In my opinion it is a great advancement in control, but important to know it's limitations. It certainly isn't an end to finger pricking, in fact I've had to test more this past week! It's never going to be completely accurate, but does give a great deal of information that otherwise would be very hard to obtain.
I mainly use for periods of Basal checking, and if I have to rely on the results other times of the day, always remember to keep in mind it's variability.

Thank you.

It seems to me that his can only be good for looking at underlying trends rather than live readings. If there is a risk of being 2ml deviation I'd not feel confident about driving etc.

So on that basis personally I couldn't justify £100 a month.

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you.

It seems to me that his can only be good for looking at underlying trends rather than live readings. If there is a risk of being 2ml deviation I'd not feel confident about driving etc.

Just to confirm for you and anyone else who might not be aware. The DVLA do not accept Libre readings before or during your car trip. I keep a separate monitor in the car to use before I set out and whenever I stop. I will use the libre mid journey (e.g. On motorway etc) for personal peace of mind just to confirm if I'm ok and not trending towards a hypo but otherwise will stick to my old fashioned finger prick test kit.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

nskelton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now showing 4.1 with a quickly going down arrow but prick is showing 5.5?

Griffter15

It's my understanding that under current DVLA requirements you can not drive based on results from the the Libre, and need to continue to use a blood glucose meter.
Personally there is no way I would solely rely on the results for driving.
Thanks JPTS,

Do you not find there is a risk that this could give you a false sense of security? Do the erroneous readings generally tend to be too high, or is there a risk you could have a hypo where the libre shows you as being normal?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you.

Don't underestimate how useful knowing the trend is. It's of far more benefit to see the pattern your glucose level shows overnight than the actual value (which you can roughly calibrate in your head) to spot unexpected lows and highs.

I've found that in general, it is way better than finger pricking.

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had mine for 1 week now, and I both love it and hate it! I love it for the information on trends that it is giving me and is a great tool for controlling blood sugar. I hate it because it's showing me how high I am going between meals, huge spikes!!! Maybe it wasn't a good idea to start at the end of December LOL! I still finger prick before meals and driving, and find that it's fairly close. I agree though it is out further at the higher and lower end.

nskelton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weird, they're sending out a replacement over to me however like before machine is showing 4.9 and libre saying LO

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its amazing, I've already spotted spikes from low carb meals, that I always assumed I wouldn't get.

Also, I had a night time hypo. Turns out I was hypo for an hour! No wonder I wake up a bit out of it when I have night time hypos.

The hba1c calculator on the computer software is great too. Only downside is, it doesn't do insulin on board or bolus calculations unless you do a blood test.

Will deffo improve my control. Great bit of kit.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Griffter,
I find that when using the Libre I'll never take the reading it gives as a true reflection of my levels. I find the variations increase with higher readings, which could become a problem if you corrected solely on the Libre.
As for low readings, well I trust in instinct. How I feel, when I last had insulin, what I ate. I do find it more accurate at the lower end, but at times of rapid changing levels I will always use my meter.
It's very good at providing an overall picture of your daily control, and this can be invaluable for picking up problem areas, but important to remember I think that it's far from perfect, and not intended to completely replace your meter.
I long for the day when that device is released.

Likewise @JPTS

Don't trust the Libre enough to do correction doses and would always follow-up with a bg reading.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
out of interest does anyone know what the threshold level is for when the libre displays your level as 'LO'?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did have a reading of 2.2 the other day so assume it's anything under that?