FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's going to be an interesting one. I've popped it up on my blog already, so hopefully the twitter feed will do it's job and spread the word...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's going to be an interesting one. I've popped it up on my blog already, so hopefully the twitter feed will do it's job and spread the word...

Clearly it's the reader that determines sensor life then, which is interesting.

I'm assuming you've downloaded the app and so on?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Clearly it's the reader that determines sensor life then, which is interesting.

I'm assuming you've downloaded the app and so on?
I've sent it to my Android phone, which is currently not on my person. When I get home I'll be having a play.

@Emmotha has gotten someone to download it at work. It looks pretty good and also pulls the last eight hours of history off, which none of the others I've tried have done.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well here is the first comparison of the two that I've done. Glimp seems to track effectively, which would suggest that it is picking up the raw, historical data effectively. The main difference is the spot readings where the Libre interprets the data with a predictive algorithm to tell you what it thinks the current BG level is. Glimp seems to be showing the last historical data point.

upload_2015-9-18_7-9-50.png

This means that the two readings aren't aligned, but in all honesty, this doesn't make a huge difference. Based on the huge spike that Glimp has, either there are occasional issues with it reading the sensor or the Libre reader does some form of smoothing on the data when it receives anomalous information.

What's going to be really handy about Glimp is the recording tools. Many people have complained about the limitations on the Libre reader (me included) however Glimp is building a comprehensive set of recording tools, including macronutrients for food, injection sites, Insulin:Carb ratios and correction dose amounts. Most of these are not fully active at the moment, but as there are updates, I expect that these will become more functional. I suspect that they are planning on adding a Bolus calculator to it in the not too distant future, but I'd caution about making sure that people have tested and confirmed that is safe.

So far I'd say this is the best start I've seen on "Open Source" Libre apps. It takes the readings well enough, however it's not fully functional yet. It shows a lot of potential.

Reactions: 4 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glimp looks like a step in the right direction! Would be awesome to do away with the reader and have some additional recording tools. As an iOS user, though, doesn't look like I'll be able to try it any time soon. I don't understand why Abbott don't have an App and do away with the reader or make it an optional extra for those who don't want to use their phone? Anyone have any speculation as to the reason for this? I'm looking forward to Dexcom G5 but if Abbott could do away with the Reader and I could use my phone I'd be tempted to stick with Libre for the smaller profile of the sensor.

Also, my two latest sensors have failed on start up - seems they no longer like being fired through Compeed :(

Finally, does anyone else think their Libre overestimates spikes? My Libre readings have generally been really accurate lately but I have found a pattern which is that, when I have underestimated a bolus and spike to the 9-11 region, my Libre always way overcompensates and presents values 2-3 mmol higher than finger pricks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well here is the first comparison of the two that I've done. Glimp seems to track effectively, which would suggest that it is picking up the raw, historical data effectively. The main difference is the spot readings where the Libre interprets the data with a predictive algorithm to tell you what it thinks the current BG level is. Glimp seems to be showing the last historical data point.

View attachment 15791

This means that the two readings aren't aligned, but in all honesty, this doesn't make a huge difference. Based on the huge spike that Glimp has, either there are occasional issues with it reading the sensor or the Libre reader does some form of smoothing on the data when it receives anomalous information.

What's going to be really handy about Glimp is the recording tools. Many people have complained about the limitations on the Libre reader (me included) however Glimp is building a comprehensive set of recording tools, including macronutrients for food, injection sites, Insulin:Carb ratios and correction dose amounts. Most of these are not fully active at the moment, but as there are updates, I expect that these will become more functional. I suspect that they are planning on adding a Bolus calculator to it in the not too distant future, but I'd caution about making sure that people have tested and confirmed that is safe.

So far I'd say this is the best start I've seen on "Open Source" Libre apps. It takes the readings well enough, however it's not fully functional yet. It shows a lot of potential.

That looks interesting.

My sensor is due to expire on Sunday evening, so I'm wishing I had something android to try it after that.

Reading the Google Play page, it doesn't talk about an particular OS, just the NFC. I'm wondering if I can pick up a cheapo device for research purposes. Obviously. My problem is, I would have no idea which devices would have NFC.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Glimp looks like a step in the right direction! Would be awesome to do away with the reader and have some additional recording tools. As an iOS user, though, doesn't look like I'll be able to try it any time soon. I don't understand why Abbott don't have an App and do away with the reader or make it an optional extra for those who don't want to use their phone? Anyone have any speculation as to the reason for this? I'm looking forward to Dexcom G5 but if Abbott could do away with the Reader and I could use my phone I'd be tempted to stick with Libre for the smaller profile of the sensor.

Also, my two latest sensors have failed on start up - seems they no longer like being fired through Compeed :(

Finally, does anyone else think their Libre overestimates spikes? My Libre readings have generally been really accurate lately but I have found a pattern which is that, when I have underestimated a bolus and spike to the 9-11 region, my Libre always way overcompensates and presents values 2-3 mmol higher than finger pricks.
Apple hasn't released the SDK for their NFC chip - it is only used for Apple Pay. This is why Abbott can't use it in an iPhone for the reader, and therefore haven't released an app. Nobody else can access it either.

On the spot readings relating to spikes, it's worth reading this blog about the Libre data and predictive algorithms. Essentially, the Libre uses an algorithm to predict the blood glucose level of a spot reading. If the IFG level is increasing rapidly, this algorithm appears to overshoot on the prediction. I've seen it many times, so I don't bolus based on the Libre reading of spikes now. I did once and got a nice big fat hypo for my sins. It's also the reason why Abbott recommend using blood tests when glucose levels are moving rapidly. Basically the algorithm they have implemented is unable to give a reasonable estimate as a result of the velocity.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a list of NFC devices. The challenge is finding the cheap ones. Huwaei, Acer, and some of the older HTC and LG devices are probably findable on ebay relatively cheaply.

http://www.nfcworld.com/nfc-phones-list/

Thanks Tim - I'd actually found the same site whilst searching between posting and reading yours.

I doubt I can sort anything before Sunday evening, unless my neighbour, who recently jumped ship to Apple too, still has be previous smart phone, I might be able to borrow for a few days to experiment.

It doesn't make sense to crash and buy something without decent research, then be stuck with it, when I have more sensors anyway. It would just have been very convenient. And I'm not known for my patience at times like this. Ahem.

Hey ho. Such is life. Timing is everything. :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Right then - a word of warning on using Glimp. It seems to have triggered something in the sensor to make the Libre reader believe that the sensor has stopped functioning. I've given it 30 mins to try and find out whether this is a permanent fail or just on the Libre, but it looks like it is terminal!

bekhh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Right then - a word of warning on using Glimp. It seems to have triggered something in the sensor to make the Libre reader believe that the sensor has stopped functioning. I've given it 30 mins to try and find out whether this is a permanent fail or just on the Libre, but it looks like it is terminal!

In Holland someone lost 2 sensors in a row when experimenting with Glimp. Enough reason to be cautious.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What's the current sit rep on your sensor Tim?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It is an ex-sensor. It passed on at 16.38 on Friday after a short association with a friend known as Glimp. Glimp has been taken aware somewhere for interrogation and their circumstances are unknown...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is an ex-sensor. It passed on at 16.38 on Friday after a short association with a friend known as Glimp. Glimp has been taken aware somewhere for interrogation and their circumstances are unknown...

Oh dear. That's a real shame. Thanks for posting your warning though. I was seriously plotting the acquisition of an android device!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh dear. That's a real shame. Thanks for posting your warning though. I was seriously plotting the acquisition of an android device!
Hmmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. While Glimp is giving me the same spot reading as Friday, I'm seeing trend data that seems to follow what my bg levels have been doing for the past eight hours.

Looking back at the data from Friday, I appear to have missed a set as well. I'm giving it a couple of hours before retesting during which there will be spot blood checks to get a comparison but I am hopeful.

Raises an interesting question as to when a sensor is truly dead, or what the trigger for stoppage is, and once it has died how reliable it is.

UPDATE: Looking at Glimp, what appears to have happened with the sensor is that it doesn't seem capable of giving a correct snap value. If you leave it for a period of time you can see the historic data, but as soon as you check it, you get a reversion back to the bad snap value. An interesting insight into what's broken in the sensor.

capsicum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi fellow Libre users...

We are in Australia doing a project using the new inhaled insulin Afrezza, in combination with Tresiba and the FreeStyle Libre.
http://www.afrezzadownunder.com

The sensors that we have been using have been bought at (absurd) expense on eBay. This is on top the the expense of importing Afrezza and Tresiba - none of these products are available in Australia.

If there is a user that no is no longer ordering sensors fortnightly, we would like to get in contact with you so that we could order some sensors with your account and have them sent to a relative in the UK. Alternatively, you could send some sensors to us directly to help with the project. We are happy to reimburse you for all of your expenses and time.

The project is making good progress, and access to cheaper sensors would greatly help us.

Please contact me via this board, or on twitter @mattybendall if you can help us. Thanks.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My latest order has been "on hold" for a week now.

Anyone know what's going on? Do I need to call Abbott or is this a general issue at their end?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My latest order has been "on hold" for a week now.

Anyone know what's going on? Do I need to call Abbott or is this a general issue at their end?
It means that they are having supply problems yet again. I am now back on blood testing thanks to the lack of performance from the deliveries.

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It means that they are having supply problems yet again. I am now back on blood testing thanks to the lack of performance from the deliveries.
Really frustrating. I need to stock up to try to prevent this, would feel at such a loss without it.