Frequency of HbA1c test ..

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have maintained a HbA1c in the 'normal' range for over two years with testing every three months at the surgery. The practice nurse has suggested I get tested every six months in future. Should I? I still test regularly at home.

D

Deleted Account

HbA1C gives you an average of your BG over the last three months. This hides any "rollercoastering" where you may be high for a couple of days (or hours) and then low for a few days (or hours).
Therefore, I would suggest it is always worthwhile continuing with your finger prick as this will spot temporary highs and lows. As you are pre-diabetic and doing well overall, you may want to give your fingers a bit of a break or maybe testing a little less often. But don't stop.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take very little notice of my HbA1c because I know it does not tell the whole story. It is the swings from high to low (normal low that is) that cause the damage. No HbA1c will ever pick these swings up because of the averaging that goes in the calculations. My meter tells me what I want to know - that my post meal deviation is as flat as I can get it. A Libre sensor also helps enormously with this, but as they are expensive I only wear them part time.

The main reason I keep to my 6 monthly blood tests is to keep an eye on the other markers - cholesterol, liver, kidneys etc. Otherwise I would accept my nurse's invitation to remove me from the diabetic register and reduce to annual testing.

Reactions: dbr10
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have maintained a HbA1c in the 'normal' range for over two years with testing every three months at the surgery. The practice nurse has suggested I get tested every six months in future. Should I? I still test regularly at home.
Your question is should you get tested every six months instead of three. If you have tested in the normal range for over two years then less frequent monitoring is indicated. To press a point, if you keep testing normal then once a year would be adequate but while they are willing to test every six months then stick with it.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Lynn1 I only get tested once a year which I think is sufficient but have to keep up with my home testing regime as things go out of hand when I stopped.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I take very little notice of my HbA1c because I know it does not tell the whole story. It is the swings from high to low (normal low that is) that cause the damage. No HbA1c will ever pick these swings up because of the averaging that goes in the calculations. My meter tells me what I want to know - that my post meal deviation is as flat as I can get it. A Libre sensor also helps enormously with this, but as they are expensive I only wear them part time.

The main reason I keep to my 6 monthly blood tests is to keep an eye on the other markers - cholesterol, liver, kidneys etc. Otherwise I would accept my nurse's invitation to remove me from the diabetic register and reduce to annual testing.

Can you tell me if cholesterol is measured as an average over three months (as with HbA1c)? Plus, when is a sensible period to get re-checked as my cholesterol had risen slightly from the last check? Too much cream/butter to keep my weight up!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you tell me if cholesterol is measured as an average over three months
From my reading it seems that Cholesterol is measured as a one off a bit like a finger prick test for blood glucose hence why some surgeries ask for you to have fasted before doing the test. I have a suspicion (supported by an old study I found from the 1950's) that cholesterol levels vary during the day, so much like a single finger prick test, all your doctor gets is a snapshot of your levels at that particular time. How they can prescribe drugs based on that is completely beyond me.
If I were you i'd do a lot of reading on the benefits of a slightly higher than "normal" cholesterol level before doing anything to artificially change it. Women especially seem to live longer with a higher cholesterol level.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From my reading it seems that Cholesterol is measured as a one off a bit like a finger prick test for blood glucose hence why some surgeries ask for you to have fasted before doing the test. I have a suspicion (supported by an old study I found from the 1950's) that cholesterol levels vary during the day, so much like a single finger prick test, all your doctor gets is a snapshot of your levels at that particular time. How they can prescribe drugs based on that is completely beyond me.
If I were you i'd do a lot of reading on the benefits of a slightly higher than "normal" cholesterol level before doing anything to artificially change it. Women especially seem to live longer with a higher cholesterol level.
Thanks. And I have no intention of taking statins or the like.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My latest Hba1c was 39 and my levels have been similar to your's (apart from 1 blip 6 months ago :( ). My cholesterol is also going up and I am wondering if it is too much ceam and butter. What is your cholesterol? Mine is 6.8. I aim to have my hba1c tested every 3 months but it usually 6 months as time goes by and I forget.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My cholesterol is 7 and raised from September. I know I have been over-doing the fats, but that is because I need to keep my weight up. Since my doctor warned me about my level increasing, I have cut back and have already lost 2lbs.

However, I was interested to read bulkbikers reply that women of a certain age benefit from a slightly higher cholesterol level.

So many conflicting views! Really confusing.

Reactions: aqualung

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am wondering if it is too much ceam and butter

Despite what some say what you eat has a limited effect on your cholesterol which is controlled by your liver which makes as much as it thinks you need. The overall number (total cholesterol) is pretty meaningless so you need to know your measured full lipid profile. There is of course the problem that there is little evidence linking cholesterol to CVD anyway so I believe we worry about cholesterol unnecessarily... And when you look at the data it seems that females over a certain age benefit from having higher cholesterol. All in all from what I can gather we all (and especially our doctors) worry far too much about cholesterol levels and the docs are far too happy to prescribe what could well turn out to b completely pointless tablets which have been know to have rather nasty side effects. Maybe check out the website for Ivor Cummings "The Fat Emperor"
http://www.thefatemperor.com

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lynn1 @aqualung
You may find this study interesting
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/circulationaha/22/2/247.full.pdf
It is from the 1950's but measured the cholesterol levels of a group of people during the day. A very limited group I admit but its findings are interesting nonetheless.
There was a variation in total cholesterol readings of up to 5 mmol/l on the same day. To convert from US readings to UK readings you divide by 38 roughly.
I bet if you asked your doctor if that were possible they would say no way..
Unless you have multiple tests during the day then there is no way that they will know what your "level" is.. it would be like diagnosing diabetes on a single finger prick test..which I hope we all agree would be completely stupid.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only get an annual HbA1c and am happy with that. In fact, I don't feel any need to have it monitored by my doctor at all.

Like @bluetit I much prefer to monitor my bg at home, since I see a significant difference between my home testing levels and what the HbA1c shows.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol is 7 and raised from September. I know I have been over-doing the fats, but that is because I need to keep my weight up. Since my doctor warned me about my level increasing, I have cut back and have already lost 2lbs.

However, I was interested to read bulkbikers reply that women of a certain age benefit from a slightly higher cholesterol level.

So many conflicting views! Really confusing.

Lynn - If you are dropping the amount of fat you eat, it makes sense to up your protein a bit.

To be honest, my total cholesterol number is always high, but then when I apply my breakdowns to the hughscalc utility, it suggests my levels are ideal; with just the numbers adding up to an inconvenient sum.

My GP is very happy with my numbers. Mt total cholesterol is usually over 6, but has been higher. She did twitch a bit at 8.1, but still the breakdowns comforted her.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Lynn - If you are dropping the amount of fat you eat, it makes sense to up your protein a bit.

To be honest, my total cholesterol number is always high, but then when I apply my breakdowns to the hughscalc utility, it suggests my levels are ideal; with just the numbers adding up to an inconvenient sum.

My GP is very happy with my numbers. Mt total cholesterol is usually over 6, but has been higher. She did twitch a bit at 8.1, but still the breakdowns comforted her.

I think a lot depends on whether a person has diabetes or not. My diabetes nurse would be having kittens if I was 8-something. We have a lower "acceptable" threshold apparently.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot depends on whether a person has diabetes or not. My diabetes nurse would be having kittens if I was 8-something. We have a lower "acceptable" threshold apparently.

It was around the time I was 8-something that I was removed from the diabetes register. I might have educated my GP well (or otherwise, depending on your viewpoint :) ).

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would compromise on 6 months, as you have great control. I think HbA1c is useful as the gap between this and meter readings I think is useful to get an understanding of deviation. I remember when I had fbg of early 5's but got a HbA1c of 42; this prompted me to give up the soda bread and bigger portion of oats, and switch to LCHF, as I worked out the carbs were upping my average.
I would also ask to get your vitamin levels tested - my surgery agreed for me to have this done next Friday.