Fructosamine test

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
My doctors always do Fructosamine test to assess my sugar levels. The result is always 300+. My sugar levels fluctuate a lot. Can anyone let me know why it is done and how to control it?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I have no experience of this. I had a look at the Wikipedia entry which I'm sure you've looked at already.

Why not ask your doctors the reason?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually it’s because the hba1c is inaccurate for some reason.

It covers a shorter time period than the hba1c does too. Eg Pregnancy where things change rapidly, anaemia, conditions that effect the RBC shape or size like thalessimia, sickle cell etc.

I have to admit I’ve no idea what the normal ranges etc are though.

• Agree
Reactions: SHmano and EllieM

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I get this done at Medichecks as I have had discordance with my A1c's on Assays geared towards Caucasians. Below is what Medichecks says about it

1676410034595.png

In my case it did show I was improving my results when the HbA1c was not showing progress I could see with glucose monitors and CGM's.

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get this done at Medichecks as I have had discordance with my A1c's on Assays geared towards Caucasians. Below is what Medichecks says about it

View attachment 59383

In my case it did show I was improving my results when the HbA1c was not showing progress I could see with glucose monitors and CGM's.
Thank you for giving me an incite. I hope to follow up with my doctor