Fruit:- Good or not so good.

simmo1077

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am new to this, so please bear with me. Diagnosed Type 2 6 months ago, taking metformin and statin. Trying to lose weight and watching my calorie intake etc. Can anyone tell me which fruits are good or not so good for me. I have had conflicting advice with some saying eat as much as you want, (within reason of course) and some saying that fruit is still high in sugar. Can anyone suggest where to look for definitive advice.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fruit is an extremely weird one for me. Sometimes it hits me hard, and other times not at all.

Certain fruit (I'm looking at you here, BANANA'S!) ALWAYS hit me hard...

Only way is to test, and see how it goes. But I certainly wouldn't eat lots of fruit everyday.

I am certain that in years to come the "5 pieces of fruit or veg" advice WILL be changed so that veg is advised in a higher proportion than fruit.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Patch said:
Fruit is an extremely weird one for me. Sometimes it hits me hard, and other times not at all.

Certain fruit (I'm looking at you here, BANANA'S!) ALWAYS hit me hard...

Only way is to test, and see how it goes. But I certainly wouldn't eat lots of fruit everyday.

I am certain that in years to come the "5 pieces of fruit or veg" advice WILL be changed so that veg is advised in a higher proportion than fruit.
In the Mediterranean this is more like your 7 a day!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Fruit is good for everyone as its full of minerals and vitamins, but should be eaten in moderation as is the case with everything else.

Test different pieces of fruit in different portions and you will soon find out what you can safely eat :thumbup:

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I echo that only way to know for sure whats good and not so good for you is to eat and test :wink:

It can also depend on when and how much as to the result.

I know that bananas and apples .... and definately pineapple ...... send me up most of the time.

I can have one evey few days or so but certainly not two or three portions as I used to ... shame cos I loved fruit :x

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
simmo1077 said:
Can anyone suggest where to look for definitive advice.

Self testing is always best but you can start on the low GI fruits in this list:

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

Just have small portions and test for the results after 2 hours. You will find some are better than others. You may also find that you can have the odd medium or even high GI fruit, just smaller portions. Measure your BG before you eat and two hours after, then you will get an idea of the rise. Don't eat any other carbs with the fruit otherwise you'll never know. It's a bit of a bind whilst you learn but it does pay dividends in the end.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
garythegob said:
If you are on statins grapefruit is a no no, it prevents the statin working properly! Definitely simvastatin, but also other statins i think!

We've discussed this here before - what actually happens, is that the grapefruit makes the drugs MORE efficient. But instead of prescribing half a grapefruit and 1 pill, the Doc's would rather prescribe 2 pills!

Go figure.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I keep to small portions of fruit and not too often. Glucose needs to be contrrolled and Fructose, which is found in the sweetest fruits e.g. grapes, isn't good for us in other ways.
The Government recommends 5 portions of fruit and veg per day. It's OK to have 4 1/2 portions of veg and 1/2 a portion of fruit
Hana

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't think I eat 5 a week let alone a day!

Tsavor

I find that fruit with seeds such as Strawberries or Kiwi Fruit is the best as the fibre in the seeds spreads the sugar spike to acceptable levels.

As for Banana's they are 2 different fruit, when ripe massive sugar spike, when almost green no spike as all.

But all diet for diabetics is incredibly individual as to what impact it has on sugar levels, just keep trying and testing the Blood Sugars to see what does what to you.

controller

ON the whole, fruit is good for diabetics along with fresh vegetables and legumes, nuts e.g. walnuts. All this is aimed at the control of your BGL and any dependance on sugar; sucrose and foods containing this element.

However, what the experts and GP's do not tell you is that the downside of your sugar free foods is that you run the risk of increasing your levels of triglycerides.

Triglycerides are a form of fat, lipids and is not processed in your liver. Consequently, these triglycerides are stored as body fat.

if you are on a "healthy diabetic diet," but you find your weight is increasing this could be due to triglycerides.

bmorgen

Glucose needs to be contrrolled and Fructose, which is found in the sweetest fruits e.g. grapes, isn't good for us in other ways.
Fructose metabolises differently from sucrose and so is a good way for diabetics to get sweetness without spiking. There is a significant non-scientific lunatic fringe opposed to fructose. But it is just one of the many natural sugars we eat. Virtually all fruit contains fructose. If it were as poisonous as the internet sites say, we'd all be doomed. Fun fructose idea: make your own chocolate bars with nearly unsweetened chocolate (85% or greater) and either fruit sugar or agave syrup. Add some almonds or hazelnuts and cool into chocolate bars/rounds. Low GI chocolate!

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The key word when it comes to diet is balanced. Bananas are often singled out by diabetics, but the portion size may be as much to blame as their composition (isn't it ever!). Many of the bananas we get in supermarkets are too big.

Your carbs should be spread out throughout the day. If you have a protein-rich breakfast with little carb content, followed by a salad for lunch, a banana for an afternoon snack will put a big kick of carbs into a body with a low insulin level (low BG=low insulin production). In many T2s it takes time for the pancreas to produce enough insulin so this will result in a noticeable spike in BG.

One word of caution : you are on a statin, so grapefruit are definitely off the menu!

LittleWolf

Um why is there sonics directly conflicting information about Fructose? On one hand it's suppose to be good for diabetics an on the other it's the worst kind of sugar supposedly.

With my own experimenting, doing a mini tolerance test Lucozade actually made my blood sugar go up relatively slowly compared to some meals I've experimented with and Ribena, which I more fructose than glucose HOLY ****. Double figures after not even a quarter of the bottle @_@

Maybe I'm just weird.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whiterabbit

bmorgen said:
Glucose needs to be contrrolled and Fructose, which is found in the sweetest fruits e.g. grapes, isn't good for us in other ways.
Fructose metabolises differently from sucrose and so is a good way for diabetics to get sweetness without spiking. There is a significant non-scientific lunatic fringe opposed to fructose. But it is just one of the many natural sugars we eat. Virtually all fruit contains fructose. If it were as poisonous as the internet sites say, we'd all be doomed. Fun fructose idea: make your own chocolate bars with nearly unsweetened chocolate (85% or greater) and either fruit sugar or agave syrup. Add some almonds or hazelnuts and cool into chocolate bars/rounds. Low GI chocolate!

Fructose is scientifically proven to be processed via the liver and turned to fat as opposed to other sugars / sweeteners which will either pass through the body without being stored at all or used as energy.

All sugar in excess is bad for us. Many sugars have been proven to have more of an effect on us than others and whilst agave syrup has been marketed as being a low GI natural sweetener, it's insanely high in fructose and so should be avoided whether you're diabetic or not. I used to use agave syrup until doing a fair amount of research into sugars.

Fruit contains fructose but in very small amounts and because they also contain fibre, it helps the body to process it more slowly. Certain fruits contain more fructose than others such as pineapple, apple and melons. Fruits such as kiwi, lemon, blueberries and raspberries have the least amount of fructose.

So why is fructose considered bad if it's found in natural foods? Because it's also included in most other processed foods and drinks we buy so we unwittingly consume more than what we normally would if we lived on more natural diets.

Take a look for example at fruit juice made from concentrate (the ones you find in cartons on the shelves in the supermarkets). Because the fruit juice has been concentrated, so too has the content of fructose. You may think that because it's 100% orange juice it'd be fine but you may as well chug down coke. Fresh fruit juice that you find needs to be refrigerated is not concentrated but still contains fructose, just in smaller quantities and is the better out of the 2 but still needs to be consumed moderately...like most things.

The least bad sugars seem to be Stevia and coconut sugar but again that all seems to depend on how the manufacturer processes it!