Fry-Update

diet betes

Hi everyone,

Well, following my heightened BG due to that lovely English brekky everyting seems to have settled down as follows:-

Tuesday:- 0800 - 11; 1000 brekky; 1300 - 21.9; 1700 - 8.8; 2300 - 8.8.
Wednesday 0800 - 11.3; 1300 - 8.3; 1700 - 6.2; 2300 - 5.8.
Today on waking BG was 9.4.

Looks like it was caused solely by all the carbs in that lovely English breakfast.

Thanks for all your concern & help and I will be more carefull in future.

Chris

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I tell you what - a drop from 21.9 to 8.8 in 4 hrs is pretty bl**dy impressive! That tells you that your pancreas IS working (and hard!) - FOR NOW.

If I was you, I'd make a serious effort to cut the carbs out (or down). I reckon that a pancreas has a limited working life, and the more carbs you make it deal with, the less time you'll have a functioning pancreas.

I see you are on Gliclazide & metformin - lowering your carb intake will mean you can reduce your meds. Metformin is actually a great drug (if you can tolerate it). Gliclazide, I'm not too sure about. Gliclazide forces your pancreas to create more insulin - so if you buy into my previous "pancreas's limited working life", Gliclazide will shorten this working life. (You can google Gliclazide and pancreatic burn out if you're interested).

You're on the full dose for both of your medicines. Cutting out/down carbs will allow you to reduce your medication, and hopefully extend the working life of your pancreas.

It means you camn still enjoy a fry up - sausage (stick to 1 or 2), bacon (go mad), eggs (go mad), mushrooms, black puding - all still on the menu! :wink:

Guilt free fry up's are great!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought your BG was down to 8.8 at 1700 from 21'ish at 1300?

P.S - Friday is my fry up day. 3 sausages, 2 fried eggs, mushrroms and 2 black pudding. Mayo, and a little (~1tsp) ketchup. (Can't have sausages w/out ketchup, can you? :wink: )

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Chris,

It's looking better but you still need to address the post-meal spikes.

Nigel

diet betes

21.9 @ 1300 but brekky was at 1000 so presumably higher shortly after that.
Enjoy that fry up!!

Nigel, how would you address the post meal spikes??

Chris