Fuel for the body

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I understand that when you eat carbs, insulin is released and the carbs are converted into glycogen. What happens when I eat fat, then? Is there any insulin response from eating fat, and if not, how does the body get energy from dietary fat?

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks. I've got to be honest, that page is way above me! I just need a really simple explanation if possible.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Carbs are a source of fuel. Fats are also a source of fuel but they are a more efficient source. Under normal circumstances fats do not raise blood glucose to abnormal levels but some people report that too much fat for them personally have raised their bg. I eat a LCHF diet rich in saturated fat and see no rise in bg from the fats I eat but if I eat a carb rich food such as bread then my bg sky rockets.

Reactions: Mimi's

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So when you eat fat, it is still a fuel source like carbs, it just doesn't raise insulin?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So when you eat fat, it is still a fuel source like carbs, it just doesn't raise insulin?

The simplified answer is that it doesn't raise it as much. However in order for us to utilize fats as energy, background insulin has to be low enough...otherwise we remain stuck in the carbs mode and may be energy deficient. Eg High insulin, low glucose, low ketones.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-livers-role-how-it-processes-fats-and-carbs.1909/

Edited to include this:-
upload_2017-11-5_17-22-43-png.24406