Full fat yogurt

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all
We have an Aldi close by.
I'll watch out for the Greek full fat.I had seen this one but wasn't sure(still learning and worring ).
Thank you

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have the Lidl yoghurt in the fridge too but a few weeks ago I forgot it and was looking for some yoghurt to have as a pud, my local shop had some Alpro 'simply plain plant based yoghurt' , I checked the carb content and it is 2.1g per 100g, so I bought it. It's soya based but it tastes pretty good (slightly sweeter tasting than the lidl I would say), and didn't give me any problems.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have the Lidl yoghurt in the fridge too but a few weeks ago I forgot it and was looking for some yoghurt to have as a pud, my local shop had some Alpro 'simply plain plant based yoghurt' , I checked the carb content and it is 2.1g per 100g, so I bought it. It's soya based but it tastes pretty good (slightly sweeter tasting than the lidl I would say), and didn't give me any problems.

That wouldn't do for me. There is only 2.3g fat per 100g.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes you need to balance the number of carbs against any benefits, though most plain full fat yoghurts will be fairly low carb anyway.

I've always eaten Fage Total Greek full fat yoghurt - since well before I became diabetic. It has a bit of tang to it to it, is nice and thick and creamy, has a good selections of live culture & has 3.8g carbs per 100g.

If you are really worried about carb content just add a few berries and forget about the 100% sugar honey. (And that's advice from a previous-honey-eater-by-the-jar-full! :(:()

Robbity

Last edited:

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you folks.
I tried the Aldi full fat Greek yogurt today with raspberries, very nice.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you
I must admit I saw this for sale in Co op a while ago,good call I'll try it as well,cheers.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes you need to balance the number of carbs against any benefits, though most plain full fat yoghurts will be fairly low carb anyway.

I've always eaten Fage Total Greek full fat yoghurt - since well before I became diabetic. It has a bit of tang to it to it, is nice and thick and creamy, has a good selections of live culture & has 3.8g carbs per 100g.

If you are really worried about carb content just add a few berries and forget about the 100% sugar honey. (And that's advice from a previous-honey-eater-by-the-jar-full! :(:()

Robbity
Shame about the honey

alinofruit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidls full fat Greek is the one for me.... idiots have halved the size of tub.....:banghead:

I know it's soooo annoying but least there still making it !
Lidl are great. Cheap berries yogurt and high protein rolls for a treat

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I too have honey and tolerate it pretty well.
Make your own yoghurt it's dead easy.
Bring some milk just to the point of boil and remove from heat.
Let it cool to rrom temp or a little higher at blood temp.
Stir in a spoonful of full fat plain live yoghurt.
Cover leaving room for rising .... and bung in a warm place till around 24 hours later maybe longer. I have an old fashioned airing cupboard with hot water tanl so mine goes in there in Kilner jars or plastic tubs with screw on lids. Leave room for expansion.
Lovely freshest you can get yogurt. Save a bit to seed your next batch.
It really is that simple.
Add to it whatever you fancy.

Reactions: hankjam

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Just remembered don't stir vigourously because you don't want loads of air in it. Soft slow stir. Thorough not needed.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
was in Aldi Saturday and noticed they do a Greek yogurt, made in Greece so no "style" and bought a pot.

Carbs: 3.7%
Protein: 6.4%
Fat: 10%

Probably the thickest set yogurt I've tried in a while. It tastes okay though being so thick it takes some mixing to blend in the nuts and fruit.

Lidl's is still my go to yogurt.

Reactions: Ultramum

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greek Yogurt is great, I always eat on breakfast
We make our own yoghurt using Easiyo yoghurt mix.The unsweetened Greek Style has 6.7 grms of carbs per 100g and the bact you need.This is so easy to make and a very good price.I serve with a drop of double cream and fruit,either raspberries or rhubarb and a drop of Stevia if I need it.More details on their website. As we are some distance from shops this works fine for me.£2.32 makes a K of yoghurt

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using the Alpro soya yogurts for quite some time - long before diagnosis
I make up 4 sachets of sugar free jelly and one sachet of plain gelatine, with just 3 pints of water. When it is cool I add a pot of the soya and whisk - then put it in the fridge. When set it has bubbles!!
There are flavoured versions which are still low carb, and could be made up with plain gelatine.
It lasts for a long time in the fridge, and can be served with berries and cream to make something which looks very indulgent but is actually low carb.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Once you have live yogurt you don't need to buy anything but milk if you do it the old fashioned way.
Have your spoonful of live seeding yoghurt at room temp for a few hours not straight out the fridge.
I leave it out all day to make sure it is room temp. Livens the bugs up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glenmac

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Shame about the honey

I occasionally have just a little honey: local, very runny so a tiny bit goes a long way. It doesn't seem to cause me any problems. Perhaps less than a quarter of a teaspoon.

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
All full fat yogurts have some carbs. Llaeth y Llan has 11g carbs per 125g pot and you won't find a creamier yogurt.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is wiser to test how a yoghurt affects your BG rather than go by the list on the pot, as there is no actual calculation of the carbs, it is just what weight is left after subtracting the protein and fats.
As there is a living organism involved, quite a simple one, it could very well have eaten some of the carbs whilst converting the mixture to yoghurt and carbon dioxide.
The loss is not seen as the vat is topped up to the volume required with water, then it can be packed into the expected number of pots and everyone is happy. Sometimes the customer is pushing for a reduction in costs and so more water is added, more pots are filled, and everyone is happy again.

Reactions: Ultramum