Gabepentin

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor because of my severe anxiety and the effects on my nervous system after my breakdown a couple of years ago, I was prescribed Gabepentin.
I went for an eye test after that, I was told that cataracts were forming.
I thought that this was part of getting older and just accepted it for that reason.
My eyes over the last couple of years were particularly becoming blurred in the evening, tired eyes, dry eyes. I was continually using my glucometer to make sure that the cause wasn't my BG levels.
It wasn't!
For some reason, I forgot to take my daily morning dosage, and for once, because I had a busy day and after settling down in the evening, I found that I did not have any eye issues.
So, of course, I wondered why?
With my GP's assent, I stopped taking the drug.
I myself made sure, that it wasn't the other meds I was taking.
Now, after a week without the drug, my eyes have improved so much.

Even the dry eyes and the tired eyes have abated. I have an appointment with my opticians in a couple of weeks to see if the drug has damaged my eyes further.

My essential tremor is even more manageable without the Gabepentin.
I just thought I would make others aware.

RobynV

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just read this post - and with extremely varying sight (on Lyrica for nerve pain - psoriatic arthritis) - I stopped taking this a week ago. Eyes improved a lot. Thank you. Still working on reducing other meds. And following low carb. Each week a bit better.

Reactions: Lamont D

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good to hear you are doing well, and that the side effects resolved.

I've been told to come off pregabalin, which was prescribed for restless legs syndrome and fibromyalgia pain, because it is a possible cause of my continued issues with low folate. Both sister drugs can cause low vitamin B issues and I kept getting symptoms of anaemia, and then asking for yet another test.

Not looking forward to it as I'm on a high evening dose, lower in the morning, and suffered with discontinuation symptoms when I dropped the morning dose a while again. I start on the lower evening dose tonight ...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Forgot to update and agree with @TriciaWs.
My eye test was surprising, cataracts have not got worse, and not missing taking the drug.
Essential tremor and restless legs have become normal for me.
Sometimes, drugs don't work, and can be detrimental to you.