GAD & C-peptide tests

paulandbez

Hi all

Can anyone recommend where I can get private GAD and C-peptide tests and are they expensive?

Also, does diabetes medication have to be discontinued for a while before either of the tests?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same problem with my GP so used Medichecks. They are not cheap but have discount deals a couple of times a year. Getting the bloods done is an extra cost and can be a hassle. I found using an NHS hospital to do it and accept the paid for voucher was not easy at all so used one of their own labs in London. Sadly there are very few private labs available to the public.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
No you don’t need to stop meds

But I recommend the cpeptide to be fasting

You body produces more insulin after eating

Reactions: paulandbez

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thanks daibell and searley, those comments are helpful. You would think the GPs or NHS could offer the services as a paid option.

Gp’s won’t order cpeptide only a consultant will

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks daibell and searley, those comments are helpful. You would think the GPs or NHS could offer the services as a paid option.

You can imagine the furore if they did that as a publicly funded health service. What would stop them deliberately holding off on procedures 'unless you can pay'. They do refer those patients who have private health care schemes to the same group of hospitals though (don't think I'm allowed to say which ones) and the Consultants mostly work for the NHS as well.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
For a referral: How long have you had diabetes and what is your BMI?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've had diabetes about 12 years and bmi 26.3
The referral pathway is on BMI less 25 on diagnosis. Also, deterioration onto insulin the first 3 years for type 1 and 6 for LADA. If you have had diabetes for 12 years then you will be clinically classified as type 2. It may be of use to see how much insulin you are still producing with a c-peptide as 50% of type 2's without good blood sugar control, will need insulin on an average after 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulandbez