Gaining weight

Groovymarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been diagnosed with type 1 in the last 15 months and noticed that my weight keeps going up .
I have gone from 77kg to 84 kg
I can’t seem to lose the weight and I do up to 4 keep fit classes a week, I also have an underactive thyroid , this is really making me feel so down, I don’t overeat I have my regular meals so what am I doing wrong I carb count with my insulin ?

Marie

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What sort what sort of things do you eat? If you can give us an idea of a typical day’s food (and insulin), we might be able to suggest some changes x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had you thyroxine levels checked? If you aren't taking the right amount then too little thyroxine can mean weight gain.

Groovymarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have porridge for breakfast
For lunch it’s a sandwich and a yogurt and a bag of crisps
For tea it may be spaghetti Bolognese or chilli con carne sometimes a potato salad
I do have a lot of drinks tea and coffee and I take sweetners i also have Pepsi max cans aswell x

Groovymarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have 8 levemir in the morning and 9 at night

My novarapid varies but I have a meter that I can put in the carbs and it tells me how much insulin to use roughly between 5 and 8 units

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have porridge for breakfast
For lunch it’s a sandwich and a yogurt and a bag of crisps
For tea it may be spaghetti Bolognese or chilli con carne sometimes a potato salad
I do have a lot of drinks tea and coffee and I take sweetners i also have Pepsi max cans aswell x
That’s a fair bit of carbohydrate atbeat meal that you seem to have got nicely balanced with your insulin. A lot of folk, of all types of diabetes, myself included, have found that reducing carbs and eating a bit more fat to keep hunger at bay (and reducing insulin to match) has helped us lose weight, although it flies in the face of standard NHS dietary guidelines. Is that something you’d consider trying?

Groovymarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That’s a fair bit of carbohydrate atbeat meal that you seem to have got nicely balanced with your insulin. A lot of folk, of all types of diabetes, myself included, have found that reducing carbs and eating a bit more fat to keep hunger at bay (and reducing insulin to match) has helped us lose weight, although it flies in the face of standard NHS dietary guidelines. Is that something you’d consider trying?

I would try anything

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I would try anything
There’s a low carb forum on this site, which has a lot of useful advice. I’ve been low carbing for two months and have lost 9lbs, and my blood sugars are well in range. There’s a great guide to it here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Happy to chat if you want to PM me, I’ve had real issues with weight over the years but I’ve finally found something that works without screwing up my sugars x

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I found when I was on insulin it made me put weight on. I was taken off insulin because of that I know that you can’t do that. I was constantly hungry!