Galvus- vildagliptin ??? Can't do metformin it made me ill

janinew-s

Hi everyone, I have just been put on new meds. I have tried to research Galvus but not alot is written. Does anyone have any feedback on this group of drugs or may know where to get info? Thanks x x :)

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Re: Galvus- vildagliptin ???

janinew-s said:
Thanks, but I'm not pondlife, I don't think!!!! and certainly not a duck.

I'm sure your not a duck Janine :D I'd be quackers to think you were :roll:

janinew-s

There are alot of questions I would like to ask regarding my diabetes, have you researched since you have been diagnosed? Your duck is cool.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites

janinew-s said:
There are alot of questions I would like to ask regarding my diabetes, have you researched since you have been diagnosed? Your duck is cool.

Hi Janine,
I have done some research but I'm no expert, I rely on them to help me :oops: if you post your questions I'm sure you will benefit from the wealth of experience on this board.

Cheers
Graham

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Janine and welcome to the forum.

If you Google "Galvus" you will find quite a lot of information about the drug, and there may be some feedback from patients in the US but you won't find a great deal from the UK because it has not long been available over here. You might find more information on Januvia, which has been available in the UK now for 2 years. Sitagliptin (Januvia) and vildagliptin are still the only medications of their type, DPP-4 inhibitors, that are currently available, although there are 3 or 4 similar ones that are either in late stage trials or are being assessed for approval.

janinew-s

Thanks Dennis, but from what I can gather it has not been approved in America. I am also concerned that I maybe type 1 not type 2 and this drug will not lower my blood sugars and am a bit worried.

janinew-s

Sorry, forgot to say have googled novartis and no joy testing at 18.8 morning blood sugars.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Janine,

18.8 is an extremely high reading, but the important thing is does the level reduce as the day progresses? What other diabetes medication do you take?

The reason I ask is that if you are type 1 then your pancreas is not able to produce insulin so your blood sugar levels will just continue to get higher and higher, and type 2 medications would have no effect. If the level reduces then the medication must be working, which would indicate that you are probably type 2. The only real way to be certain is to ask your GP for a GAD or c-peptide test. Where there is any doubt as to whether someone has type 1 or type 2 diabetes, these are the only certain indicators.

janinew-s

I have no other meds, the metformin made me ill and no my levels do not decrease as the day goes on. This new medication has not lowerd my blood sugars, the only thing that has ever lowered them is walking to work at a fast pace for 1 hour, the lowest reading I have within the last month is 12.9 due to going out with friends to the pub and consuming alcohol. I have quite a stressfull job and feel quite unwell most of the time.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Janine,

My advice would be to get an appointment with your GP as soon as you possibly can as it is possible that you could be type 1. If not type 1 then the fact that your BS levels are not reducing could mean that your pancreas has limited functioning and you may need to be on insulin. You must demand that he either runs tests to prove whether you are type 1, or refers you immediately to a consultant endocrinologist. The most important test would be C-peptide as this measures exactly how much insulin your pancreas produces.

Until you get the appointment it would be a sensible precaution to reduce your carbohydrate intake as much as you possibly can, in particular cut out as much as you can all cereals, bread, pasta and rice. Cut right down on potatoes and other root vegetables. This will at least severely reduce the amount of glucose in your system and will give any remaining insulin that you are able to produce a better chance of lowering that BS level.

Trinkwasser

Agreed, the sort of numbers you're running suggest you need a second opinion ASAP. As a *very* rough guide, most forms of Type 2 have low HDL cholesterol, high LDL and very high trigs, and usually high blood pressure, all of which are less common with Type 1/LADA. For the latter nothing works except insulin, though oral meds may squeeze the last few drops of insulin out of your pancreas for a while.

janinew-s

Thanks I think insulin would be the way to go, as I do feel quite poorly, but can't understand why GPs are quite apprehensive to medicate and why is metformin as standard???

janinew-s

Thanks I think insulin would be the way to go, as I do feel quite poorly, but can't understand why GPs are quite aprehensive to medicate and why is metformin as standard???

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
A lot of GP's are very quick to medicate. It might just be yours is not quite up to it and is not sure what to do. All the more reason to get that second opinion as Dennis stated. An endocrinologist is the person to see.
As for Metformin...after Diet only for a while it is the first step in the Clinical guidelines set out for a Diabetic patient.

Ken.

Trinkwasser

janinew-s said:
Thanks I think insulin would be the way to go, as I do feel quite poorly, but can't understand why GPs are quite apprehensive to medicate and why is metformin as standard???

In a word, money. Metformin is cheap. No medication is even cheaper. All other alternatives including insulin are pricier.