Gastric Band Hypnosis

terrymold

Hi everyone

I have Type 2 and and classed as obese (31.5 BMI). I do about 3 hours gym (Treadmill and Bike) per week and I just CANNOT lose any weight.

Just recently, I have been considering Gastric Band Hynosis. But I'm a little concerned that having a smaller food intake might somehow affect my Diabetes.

Does anyone have a similar experience, good or bad, or some relevant data or information, or in fact knows for sure that having Gastric Band Hynosis will have no effect on my Diabetes?

I look forward to a few replies.
Regards
Terry

RussG

Patch - google is your friend!

(As I now know) Broadly it's being hypnotised into thinking that you have a gastric band and thus get full after a small amount of food.

louiseb

I have heard of this basically the hypnotherapist hypnotises you when you wake up from the hypnosis you feel like you have had a band fitted.
I have a friend who has had this done and lost 4 stone, they feel very full after very small amounts of food.
it only took one session of hypnosis which cost £50.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Terrymold

What sort of diet do you follow? I ask because I used to follow a 'healthy' diet based on the food pyramid, and on that I could only gain weight! I turned to low-carb and Atkins, fearful that it might kill me - but what the heck, if I continued as I was I was going to die anyway! My BMI was in the mid-40s.

I modified the basic Atkins diet a bit for diabetes use, and it's posted as a sticky thread at the top of the Low-carb Diabetes Diet Forum. The rest of my story is on there. Have a look at it. It works for me, and it should work for you. Any questions, just ask - PM me if you want.

I've lost 3 stone so far, this time round. :D

Viv 8)

edited once for typo

Eilean13

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Intolerance and closed minds
Hi Terry,

After reading your post I googled Gastric Band Hypnosis - there's a ton of information about there. From my perspective I wouldn't do it as I'm not a great believer in this sort of stuff, but there are lots of testimonials from satisfied customers. There's even a piece in an old Daily Mail about how great it is - so it much be true!!

Couldn't find anything as cheap as your friends payment seems to be into hundreds of pounds. Maybe Dolly Parton had the right idea, I remember her saying in TV interview some years ago - go to the trough and keep your mouth closed !!

I've been losing weight be giving up lots of white carbs and thinking about what I eat which seems to have worked. Been off my diet for about a month but still no white carbs and no weight gain. Will be restarting again soon once I get motivated again.

It's just so difficult to lose weight and I am an expert I must and lost and gained several times my body weight over the years.

I love the look of Viv's modified Atkins and think I will give it a go.

Good Luck

Diane :)

ally5555

There has been a lot of chat about this in HCP circles. I do not think the therapists give any advice on diet and I must admit that most pts I have seen post band can only eat very small quantities of food and have a lot of dietetic input pre and post op!

Personally I think it is unethical and am struggling to see how it would work!

terrymold

Hi All

I notice that there are quite a few responses, to my original question, about whether or not I should use hypnosis for this purpose.

But that wasn't really my question.

What I actually wanted to know, and this really applies whether one has a "proper" Gastric Band fitted or hypnosis makes you think you have, was whether eating very much smaller portions of food would have any effect on one's Diabetes type II. Good or bad.

Regards
Terry

RussG

[YOU REALLY NEED TO DISCUSS THIS WITH A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL AND SEEK ADVICE]

Hi Terry,

It's not a simple question with a simple answer, I'm afraid. The shorter answer is that whatever you eat and how you eat it will always have an effect on your diabetes. If you are eating small amounts of jelly babies six times a day, then that's different to small amounts of salad, obviously. As a very general rule I'd say that fewer, smaller meals is often considered a good way to manage the impact on your blood sugar. I am an insulin using T1, and I think I need to have four smaller meals, not three to fit my lifestyle better.

However I have no idea how much one would be able to eat with a virtual gastric band (which I would have to believe is different to a physical band) and with what frequency. I'm guessing that it would be a considerable reduction on your calorific intake. There are several discussions around a 600 calorie per day diet as a route to losing weight and fat around your organs and (potentially) putting diabetes into remission, and a study showing gastric bands put diabetes into remission for 85% of people after two years, so measures that are quite severe can be considered. However there are lots of factors, such as your weight loss needed, how well controlled you are, what your diet is like now, how active you are, how likely you are to make it work etc. that need answering first. You definitely should take medical advice on this. As others have said, people having gastric bands fitted see a whole team of medical professionals to ensure their safety.

If you want a specific response from someone who has had gastric band hypnosis, I guess that seems unlikely from the responses so far. I don't know of posters who have a physical gastric band, although there must be some.

As for people's views on whether you should do it or not, well you will always get those whether you want them or not, I'm afraid. :D

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC

terrymold

Hi All
Since my last post, I have had a chat with my GP and he said than any reduction in weight and eating less food will have a positive effect on my Diabetes. And it could also cause my Diabetes to go into remission, or even disappear altogether.
Late in August I finally decided to bite the bullet and have the Hypno Gastric Band. That consisted of about 30 minutes of general health questions, followed by a 90 minute Hypnotherapy session. I was also given a 25 minute Booster CD, which I listen to at least every other day.
When I started this latest quest, I was 96.5Kg. And today I'm about 92Kg.
Although I haven't noticed anything "unusual or untoward", if my wife dishes up a similar portion to what I would have easily eaten before, I find that after a fairly small amount I'm actually starting to feel full. And if I persevere, perhaps when it happens to be my favourite dish, I just cannot eat it no matter how hard I try.
The Therapist told that my stomach "is now about the size of an orange". An apparently, the effect is permanent. It cost £90, but so far, I think it was well worth it.
Regards
Terry

Lorrie

Hi Terry,

I havbeen training in Hypnotherapy, and am also type 2 diabetic, I have heard of people having good results with this method, but I really think its for people who want or have alot of weight to lose, and being as its not permanent like an operation for a real gastric band, once you have lost all the weight you need, your mind can choose to be free of it or your therapist can remove it or gradually increase its size, the beauty of it is that you have the control, good luck

Lorrie

hypnotherapy

Hypnosis is a state of inner absorption and concentration, like being in a trance. Hypnosis is usually done with the help of a hypnotherapist using verbal repetition and mental images. When you're under hypnosis, your attention is highly focused, and you're more responsive to suggestions, including behavior changes that can help you lose weight.
hypnotherapy for weight loss

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife had a virtual band fitted by a hypnotherapist and it certainly worked for her. The therapist did 3 sessions before"fitting" the band and a few follow up sessions

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App