Getting caught out with slow metabolism sometimes?

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Went to bed at 10mmol/l, a few (3-4) hours after treating a hypo. (After a dinner fail that happened after taking my rapid)

Woke up at "HI"... I thought I'd needed a lot to get me back up after dinner, but yeah... massive delay. Does this happen? Wasn't particularly high fat, similar to usual items.

Reactions: Sjkind

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello:)

I don't believe that your issue was caused by slow metabolism, but more likely a phenomenon called rebound hyperglycemia. When you dip low during a hypo, your body releases various hormones and your liver can also dump fair amount of glucose into your blood stream.

When you say your hypo treatments 'weren't particularly high fat', do you how much you actually ate/drank?

Fat causes me no end of issues and I see it when I eat things like chocolate. If I were to eat something like a Snickers (which I think contains around 15g fat per serving) I'd notice higher than ideal BG the next morning. It's very possible that your 'HI' reading was caused by a combination of treating your hypo with something fairly high in fat, combined with a significant element of rebound hyperglycemia.

There are also other possibilities like missing your basal dose?

Hope youanaged to get your BG back down to safe levels checked for ketones:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Went to bed at 10mmol/l, a few (3-4) hours after treating a hypo. (After a dinner fail that happened after taking my rapid)

Woke up at "HI"... I thought I'd needed a lot to get me back up after dinner, but yeah... massive delay. Does this happen? Wasn't particularly high fat, similar to usual items.

I agree with @GrantGam that this doenst sound like slow metabolism. It could be rebound hyperglycaemia possibly.

What did you eat to treat your hypo?