Getting control.

Beatrice246

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, still not heard from hospital regards to whether I'm type 1 or 2 but nothing bad has happened so must be type 2.
Anyway, after a lot of depriving myself, cutting out most carbs and not getting anywhere I have finally found a lifestyle that works.
In 6 days I've had my levels go from 18+ to this evening . . . 6.7 !!!
The lowest I've had it since diagnosed (december) .
All I did , cut out meat, limit/ don't have heavy carbs ie pasta or substitute it for "veggie spaghetti," and also make Cauliflower rice for rice.
I still have treats, just not binging and losing control. I've also upped my exercise and am making sure i walk 5miles everyday. So not only am I getting better control of my diabetes , the weight is also falling off!

So everyone, never give up because it's taken me 9months to sort my **** out! Find what works for you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done Beatrice, you got there after some really good work. Keep it up.

Reactions: KimWheeler

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, still not heard from hospital regards to whether I'm type 1 or 2 but nothing bad has happened so must be type 2.
Anyway, after a lot of depriving myself, cutting out most carbs and not getting anywhere I have finally found a lifestyle that works.
In 6 days I've had my levels go from 18+ to this evening . . . 6.7 !!!
The lowest I've had it since diagnosed (december) .
All I did , cut out meat, limit/ don't have heavy carbs ie pasta or substitute it for "veggie spaghetti," and also make Cauliflower rice for rice.
I still have treats, just not binging and losing control. I've also upped my exercise and am making sure i walk 5miles everyday. So not only am I getting better control of my diabetes , the weight is also falling off!

So everyone, never give up because it's taken me 9months to sort my **** out! Find what works for you.

That's great news, As a matter of interest are you cutting out meat specifically because you believe it helps the glucose control? Are you saying that that was the big difference from your first attempts ? or did you also make further changes to your carb intake ?

Many of us have found we can happily eat meat. Its the carbs that were doing the damage for us. So if you find the " no meat" plan personally very restricting - you may find you can get the same result without this particular sacrifice depending of course on what other changes you made during the intervening period.

I have found myself that for meats - the issue was not cutting them out, more that my portion sizes had become ridiculous so proper portion control worked.

Beatrice246

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's great news, As a matter of interest are you cutting out meat specifically because you believe it helps the glucose control? Are you saying that that was the big difference from your first attempts ? or did you also make further changes to your carb intake ?

Many of us have found we can happily eat meat. Its the carbs that were doing the damage for us. So if you find the " no meat" plan personally very restricting - you may find you can get the same result without this particular sacrifice depending of course on what other changes you made during the intervening period.

I have found myself that for meats - the issue was not cutting them out, more that my portion sizes had become ridiculous so proper portion control worked.

I personally feel cutting the meat out is what has 1 -helped my blood sugar control ( I tried the keto diet at first ).
2- helped me lose 10lbs this week !
I don't watch my carbs as such , I eat as much veg as I want and will have if I want it sweet potatoes instead of white. The main reason I'm being so strict is because my entire life I have a cycle of binge eating, not eating , so this way I'm managing to include sweet treats , but most the time if I want something it's sugar free.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally feel cutting the meat out is what has 1 -helped my blood sugar control ( I tried the keto diet at first ).
2- helped me lose 10lbs this week !
I don't watch my carbs as such , I eat as much veg as I want and will have if I want it sweet potatoes instead of white. The main reason I'm being so strict is because my entire life I have a cycle of binge eating, not eating , so this way I'm managing to include sweet treats , but most the time if I want something it's sugar free.

Interesting thanks, from my own responses I have found that eating real carbs - even including potatoes as long as combined with good fats - ( eg lard, butter olive oil) doesn't do that much to spike my blood sugar.

What really does spike it is those same foods cooked in seed oils and the junk food combination of seed oil fats and carbs .
It leads me to think that high Omega 6 intake really is a big culprit in this problem.

Reactions: Beatrice246

Beatrice246

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well 2nd day I've not had metformin (rushing around not time to eat properly ) and just tested blood sugar, at 5.7 ! I'm going to watch it closely but I think I'm going to ditch the metformin !
Next hospital appointment should be good