Getting it under control - Newbie

s230787

Hi Everyone

Been diabetic for 6 years now since I was 18. Straight out type 1 diabetic, diagnosed after dramatic weight loss, tiredness and "the thirst". At the time I was sloshing back cold orange juice like it was going out of fashion, the only thing that seemed to take the taste and edge of the thirst...little did i know then of my mistake!

So recently I went to my 6 monthly appointment at the hospital and decided to take proper control of my diabetes, regular testing, carb counting, insulin ratios, diary of food eaten/carbs and insulin taken and i can honestly say i feel fantastic for it. Its taken a fair bit of googling, thank goodness for blackberrys and apps! but I feel after a few months is definitely worthwhile...hence why I am here and signed up to this forum.

So good to meet you all and look forward to chatting

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Strange you should mention cold orange juice as I was consuming this together with bitter lemon drinks before diagnosis! :?

Getting the insulin to carb ratio right is a great feeling especially when you see the results on your meter and Hba1c test, I sort of had it right before but have to give a lot of credit to the DAFNE course I attended in fine tuning my control.

Look forward to your input over the coming months! :)

s230787

Thanks Noblehead, you are right it is such a good feeling, and it will be the first time in May that I am actually looking forward to my bloodtest for my Hba1c result :lol:

My dietician mentioned something about DAFNE when I went a few weeks ago, she said it would probably benefit me, but it was my first appointment in a long time with her so it kind of got overlooked, and then I forgot the name of it, so thanks for the reminder. I've had a look on their site and my hospital looks like it does offer the course so I will mention it to her when I go back in Feb.

Bitter Lemon of course, I remember drinking that too before I was diagnosed, to get rid of that taste ERGH!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Definitely go for the DAFNE course if you get the chance, it covers carb counting extremely well and shows you how to get your insulin to carb ratio right. As well as this it also covers basal insulin, sick-day rules and how to adjust your insulin for planned/unplanned exercise......very worthwhile and I've never heard of anyone having a less than positive experience on the course.

Best wishes! :)